Xantia - Central locking ECU questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Xantia - Central locking ECU questions

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

The previous owner switched the original ECU with an after market one. I looked for the original one but can not find it. All I found is the after market one that was pushed near the fuse box ( it's an LHD car ) and there is a window lifter as well (when I lock the car all windows lift automatically ) . They guy that installed the after market one did a very bad job he cut the wires , didn't solder any of the wires. I want to restore the central locking and remote locking to the original. Does anyone know where should be the original central locking ECU on a LHD car. I guess that since the after market one is located near the fuse box it should be there. Hope it wasn't thrown away.

Looking at Citroen service Citroen catalog number for the remote locking ECU is 658015 ( Car's VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] ) . If the ECU was thrown ( as I assume ) does anyone know the equivalent Texton number ( guess it is a Texton ). I may need to solder the original connectors to the wires that were cut, does anyone have the wiring diagram ? Can the connectors be sourced ?

Thanks
Zohar
Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Xantia97
My Cars:

Re: Xantia - Central locking ECU questions

Post by Xantia97 »

Hi,
On my 1997 Xantia 1.9td the central locking ecu is between the front seats underneath the little tray to the side/rear of the handbrake. To get the little tray out use a slim screwdriver gently from the front edge, it is held in with I think three clips, front, middle and rear, if I remember correctly. If you have this tray but can't remove it (took me hours the first time) reply to this and I'll take mine out and take some photos.
Hope this helps,
Juliet
1997 Xantia 1.9TD LX (owned for 14 years) - Snoopy

Gone but always remembered
GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi Juliet

I was able to remove the tray and I saw this little silver control box. Does this unit receives the signal transmitted from the remote key ? I am asking since the enclosure of the box is from metal and as I know radio waves do not go through metal ? Is there an additional receiver that communicates with that box ? Do you have the pin-out of the connector that is hooked onto this box ( the one near the handbrake )

Thanks
Zohar
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Hi Zohar,
My central locking is infra-red and the ecu is a black plastic box under the tray, I have a signal receiver in the roof. My car is a series 1, yours is a series 2. I am guessing there would be a radio wave receiver that transmits via wire to the ecu, if indeed the box you have found is the central locking ecu on a series 2 car.

What I did on Service Citroen was to buy a 1 hour subscription for euros 5.20 + tax, you can get so much more information, I have an 11 page printout about everything to do with my locking bits and pieces, including a key to the wires and where the ecu is located, I am assuming you could get the same information for your car but I can't be 100% sure. I'm guessing you have got the part number for the ecu from the parts 'tab' that is free, if you subscribe you can access the 'tabs' for diagnosis, repairs, diagram etc.. Be prepared to make the most of the time, get a printer ready, make a list of all the areas you want to print out, some bits are difficult to print, it's trial and error I found. If you start to access the 'paid for' areas that is when your hour will start, logging out does not pause your time.

I've had a quick look on the internet and found a photo of part 658015 and it is a black plastic box like mine, so not sure what you have found. Perhaps it's another part of the third party system?
Good luck :)
Juliet

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi Juliet

When I removed that little tray near the hand break, I disconnected the connector that was hooked to the box I found. Than I checked if the after market remote still work and it did. I assume that the guy who installed the aftermarket remote bypassed it. As the box I found there was connected to the original connector I guess this box is Citroen original and not an after market. I'll farther check. I tried once the subscription to the technical documentation and didn't find it that helpful. Anyway if I wont find any relevant material on line I'll subscribe.
I do guess that the receiver was located near the fuse box ( under the steering wheel ) and the guy just throw it. Worse of it that he cut the original connectors to connect the after market device. I can not figure what is the reason the previous owner let him do it. I can not believe the receiver failed. Maybe the remote key buttons , but this can be sorted quite easy. I checked one of the remote key with spectrum analyzer and the key was transmitting as the lock/unlock buttons pressed. It was three years ago but I guess the remote in the key is still functional.

Thanks a lot
Zohar
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

The more I think about it the little silver box you found cannot be the locking ecu, at least not from the photos I found on the internet. The only silver metal ecu that came up on the internet search was the main engine ecu. Haven't a clue where mine is to compare, but be careful until you identify this box. Could it be an 3rd party alarm ecu, it would be the ideal hiding place.
Juliet

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That silver box under the oddment tray in the centre console is the Airbag ECU...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

The way the little silver box is attached and the fact that it is hooked to an original Citroen connector indicates that it comes with the car. If I remove the tray that is near the gear shift leaver I can see a small box that on its label I can find the word airbag so I guess this is the airbag ECU.

BTW when I hooked a Lexia and tried to communicate with the locking ECU it could not. I assume that it related to the wires that were cut buy a the guy who installed the after market remote.

Thanks
Zohar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is often the case that the Lexia cannot communicate with the locking ECU... I'd not worry too much about that at this time...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

So any guess what is this little silver box ? If it is easy to remove I'll detach and see if there is any label that indicated what it does. If not I'll take a photo and post it, maybe someone will know

Thanks
Zohar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

If you post a picture I'm sure one of us will ;)
Jim

lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

I removed today the after market central locking ECU and connected the original one. Then I programmed a key that I bought out of eBay and now the car locking system is revert to the original state. As Jim said the little silver box is the airbag ECU

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D
Jim

xf1ref
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI 163hp

Post by xf1ref »

I think is too late but the central locking ECU for mk2 is under dashboard after de glovebox. The unit also contains the circuit for interior lights, temporizator and dimming.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Otherwise known as the CPH...
Jim