Xantia auto gearbox problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

i5xp
My Cars: 99 Xantia 1.8 16v parts car
96 Xantia 2.0i exclusive
97 Xantia 1.9td

Xantia auto gearbox problem

Post by i5xp »

Hi all
I have a Citroen xantia 1.8 16v 1999 with the al4 auto gearbox with snow sport mode buttons
I was about to drive after stopping for 30 minutes but engine only revs doesn't move #-o #-o #-o ,the snow and sport lights were flashing,i shifted to reverse and reverse works i can go backwards but not forwards, i tried 3rd gear 2nd gear 1st gear none worked.
Last edited by i5xp on 04 Jan 2020, 10:57, edited 3 times in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia auto gearbox problem

Post by CitroJim »

First thing is to get a Lexia on it and see what it says. The snow and sport lights flashing indicate there is a fault stored in the ECU. Only Lexia diagnostics to read the fault(s) stored.

That it reverses but does not go forward suggests either an electrovalve problem, valve block problem or a broken brake band..

Hopefully the former as that can be fixed without removing the 'box from the car.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
i5xp
My Cars: 99 Xantia 1.8 16v parts car
96 Xantia 2.0i exclusive
97 Xantia 1.9td

Post by i5xp »

CitroJim wrote:First thing is to get a Lexia on it and see what it says. The snow and sport lights flashing indicate there is a fault stored in the ECU. Only Lexia diagnostics to read the fault(s) stored.

That it reverses but does not go forward suggests either an electrovalve problem, valve block problem or a broken brake band..

Hopefully the former as that can be fixed without removing the 'box from the car.
I put 1 liter of castrol def3 atf oil in. I also noticed that when i rev to 3000 rpms and realase gas pedal the cars moves for for a split second then stops. I could drive 15 meters like this. I also want to know if theres any difference what atf fluid to use and what to use also wheres the gearbox fluid filter located. In my country theres nobody who has the lexia scanner and probably only way to get a lexia is to buy one off ebay.
Last edited by i5xp on 04 Jan 2020, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is most definitely the WRONG gearbox oil. The only stuff to use is Mobil LT71141, as anything else will cause problems. Wait until CitroJim or addo see this post, as they are the most knowledgeable on them.

EDIT; Just spotted that CitroJim has already started answering.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As you say James and a point I was going to make...

Sadly, I doubt a fluid change is going to fix the issues the 'box is suffering from unless there is hardly any ATF in the 'box to start with...

You must look to get a diagnostic session in the first instance.. Many members on here offer the service so there should be no need to buy a Lexia Kit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Sorry Jim, don't think we have any Lexia owners listed in Estonia :cry: :-D
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nearest one would be Ben :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

hirsty wrote:Sorry Jim, don't think we have any Lexia owners listed in Estonia :cry: :-D
Ahh, didn't spot that :oops: Sorry...
Jim