1.6 HDI oil leak...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thewww
My Cars: Partner Escapade

Re: 1.6 HDI oil leak...

Post by thewww »

I am resealing the inlet manifold today and putting some sealer around the o rings
drew
My Cars: 1.6tdci cmax

Post by drew »

so i stopped the leak, i ended up putting heat prof silicon on the studs holding down the injectors and also around the inlet manifold orings and white spacers i think they are badly designed, so it finally seems clean, but now at the back of the engine it seems there is a spray of diesel, i keep cleaning it hoping it is just the left over mess from th oil but it seem to come back, very difficult to see around the back of the engine, even to nip up the injector lines is a mission, I'm going back into the CERN car club tomorrow to put it onto the hoist and attack it from the bottom, unless anybody has had similar leaks of diesel? car runs really well BTW
thewww
My Cars: Partner Escapade

Post by thewww »

The manifold seals are a bad design, I also made up some spacers to go behind the o rings and used some sealer, since I have sealed up the manifold I have discovered that there is a very slight leak from one or two of the injector high pressure pipes which was being spread about by the manifold leak now I just get a little diesel collecting around the injector studs , I know that you are supposed to change the high pressure pipes but I have never seen anyone change them just because they have been disturbed,
mark_newbs
My Cars: Focus 1.6tdci

Post by mark_newbs »

Hi,
Did you find a solution to the leaking oil? I have a similar issue.
Thanks
Mark
Bick

Post by Bick »

mark_newbs wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 06:10 Hi,
Did you find a solution to the leaking oil? I have a similar issue.
Thanks
Mark

I think if you do a search for leaking injectors this may be what you are looking for?
mark_newbs
My Cars: Focus 1.6tdci

Post by mark_newbs »

Thanks Bick, would that much oil leak out of the injector seals?

Cheers

Mark
Bick

Post by Bick »

Hard to say you may have an injector leaking and an oil leak from the top housing - cant say.
lawright1125
My Cars: 407 1.6 hdi

Post by lawright1125 »

ok, so yesterday i bought a peugoet 407 hdi 1.6 from the auction, as you guys explained it same poxy oil leak all pooling round the injectors. at first glance i thought it was the rocker cover too , so i steamed cleaned the engine and ran up the engine, on this one the leak is coming from a hair line crack in the cam cover where it covers the cams right at the front of the engine. I loosed the inlet manifold to see it more clearly cleaned up and degreased the area. Then carried out a repair with quick steel epoxy putty, there is no pressure there, took it on a 150mile round trip and it hasn't leaked a drop, im gonna have to change the belt cause its so contaminated with oil, this repair is a bit of a bodge but it works well, they car isn't worth enough to replace the whole cam cover.

I know people are saying inlet manifold seals and injector seal but really they should not leak that much oil unless the turbo bearing seals are bypassing oil, which if far more concerning. so check the aluminium cam cover right under where the inlet manifold meet the rubber pipe at the front of the engine. good luck
miles
New User
My Cars: peugeot 308 hdi

Post by miles »

Hi lawright, can you remember where exactly the crack was? You say at the front of the engine but my tdi1.6 is in a peugot308 and the inlet manifold enters at the back top of the engine. Do you mean the crack was close to the belt end of the engine?
Datadogie
My Cars: 2009 Citroen picasso exlusive satnav

Post by Datadogie »

I know you said you had the seals changed. Have you since checked to see if they are still tight? I have seen them loosen after a few starts as the engine gets hot, then cold again.
With old cars you had to tighten a new cylinder head gasket after a long run.