1.6 HDI oil leak...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bill Mac

1.6 HDI oil leak...

Post by Bill Mac »

Hello, it was suggested I post on the Citroen side of the forum, so I copied the original post over, I hope that is OK!

I have a feeling based on, not much of I'm honest, that it could be the cylinder head weeping oil. I would have thought that to be unlikely due to having no other symptoms, but it looks to me like there is nowhere else for the oil to be coming from.

Again, I can't see why I would be losing that much oil from the inlet maifold unless the turbo we loosing oil in a big way, and the turbo appears to have only a little weep, but then again, the only way I could check this for sure I guess would be to take of the inlet manifold and replace the seals.

I checked the injectors again this morning, and the bolts are still holding torque, no carbon around them and no chuffing, but t it is oil I am sure, and not carbonised diesel.

First, an apology for going straight to it in my first post.

I've about given up, and thinking of trading the car in. I'd rather not if I'm honest, we've only had it for 6 months, and we like it a great deal, but the smell of oil is a real annoyance now, and of course, there are the health aspects too!

307 1.6 HDI SW 2006 with the oil pooling around the injectors, and running down onto the exhaust manifold. Valve cover has been replaced 4 times now, no change. So I guess that can be ruled out. Injectors weren't leaking, but I had the seals replaced for good measure anyway. but I guess the injectors have nothing to do with the oil I'm losing. Full service history, and I've changed the oil twice in around 4000 miles with the correct low ash etc. New o ring on the breather to air intake pipe, the oil doesn't appear to be coming from here.

The oil leak is heaviest at the gearbox side of the car, clean nearly other end, ruling out the timing chain eating it's way through the cover I would imagine.

Can I kindly ask if anyone has had this problem and put it right? I was thinking the inlet manifold oil seals, but I don't know the engine and it appears to be quite an involved job if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Any pointers in any direction would be GREAT!!!

Last attempt at a repair before we say goodbye.

Thanks in advance...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: 1.6 HDI oil leak...

Post by MikeT »

Are you sure it's oil? Does it need excessive topping up?
Bill Mac

Post by Bill Mac »

MikeT wrote:Are you sure it's oil? Does it need excessive topping up?
Hi,

Yeah it's oil. It's not a huge leak, more of a weeping wound I'd say. I don't loose a lot of oil, but I do need to top it up. It settles around the injectors, pools up and pours around the side of the rocker down onto the exhaust manifold, stinking the car out :-D

I cleaned it all off yesterday and I'm just back from a drive today, equal pools around each injector. Not even a hint of diesel in the smell.
Bill Mac

Post by Bill Mac »

I keep on returning to the injector seals too, becuase of reading about people with the same problem putting it right by changing the seals. I can't understand why there would be oil pushing up past the injectors though?

I got a garage to fit new seals when I first discovered the problem, but it made no difference. Now I'm wondering if they were fitted right. They did manage to break the rocker over while doing the job, they didn't let on of course :-D The rocker cover has been replaced. On the fourth rocker cover gasket fit, I put a small bead of white sealant around the edge so I could see if the leak was making it's way past, It appears to be fine.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Bill Mac wrote:
MikeT wrote:Not even a hint of diesel in the smell.
Ok, will rule out fuel leak then. A good (imo) method for liquid leak detecting is to place some tissue or paper towel around suspect parts. It will immediately highlight a specific point of leakage. It make take some guess work to backtrace a flow though.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'd give it a good degrease first and try Mikes paper detectors.
Bill Mac

Post by Bill Mac »

elma wrote:I'd give it a good degrease first and try Mikes paper detectors.
Thanks James! I've being doing the degreasing weekly at the moment to reduce the smell :-D It's a tricky one for sure. As soon as it's washed away, it's back after a few miles driving. I've stood for maybe half an hour with the engine running, bonnet up after cleaning hoping to see something, but nothing. As soon as I drive, I've got the pools of oil :-D

Thanks again...
Bill Mac

Post by Bill Mac »

MikeT wrote:
Bill Mac wrote:
MikeT wrote:Not even a hint of diesel in the smell.
Ok, will rule out fuel leak then. A good (imo) method for liquid leak detecting is to place some tissue or paper towel around suspect parts. It will immediately highlight a specific point of leakage. It make take some guess work to backtrace a flow though.
Thanks MikeT!
I've cleaned, but I've never tried the paper towel trick, I'll get right to it :-D

Thanks again...
drew
My Cars: 1.6tdci cmax

Post by drew »

did you ever solve this problem??
experiencing the same problem changed injector seals top and bottom, inlet manifold o rings 8 of them, rocker cover 3 times… still pooling and smelling oil!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Is this oil or diesel that is pooling ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
drew

Post by drew »

OIL OIl OIL.....
think it might have something to do with blanking off the egr valve, the only think it really can be, its got 67.000 miles so faily low miles engine is super clean just fresh really black OIL pooling around injectors, change oil every 2000 miles at the moment as the constant oil dripping is easy to clean, also i suspect a leaking oil cooler as well do they drip oil? b4 the usual silly question i know where the oil cooler is its a different leak
drew

Post by drew »

so had it up on a ramp after cleaning it and it seems to be dripping down the back of engine and then dripping on to exhaust straight pipe not the manifold! using about 1lt every 1000km!
kmak577

Post by kmak577 »

Changed rocker cover seal on mine, had issues with leaks still, took it down to the garage for them to tell me it was the rocker cover seal. Apparently its so thin its easy to not get it to mate with both surfaces properly causibg a slight sweep that pools on the top of the head.

Just my experience
thewww
My Cars: Partner Escapade

Post by thewww »

I have had the same problem and have traced it to the inlet manifold seals leaking when the turbo pressurised the manifold, try spraying a mixture of washing up liquid and water around the joints and revving up the engine you will see the leak ,I don't see why it looks like oil pooling but it's definitely coming from the manifold seals on my engine.
drew

Post by drew »

still leaking like a m uth fu er... sealled the rocker cover well with heat proof silicon did not change a bit so thats ruled out! all injector seal already replaced all 3, inlet manafold o rings replaced already, so the oild start pooling around the middle 2 injectors first then drips down the back of the engine and onto the exhaust pipe, smells bad for a 2010 model c max and smoke coming out the engine bay :rofl2: