1.9TD Citroen Xantia Diesel pong when stopping.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

1.9TD Citroen Xantia Diesel pong when stopping.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello,

I seem to have acquired a smelly diesel pong inside the cabin of my Xantia 1.9TD along with hunting
on cold starts, I found that the Number 4 cylinder leak off pipe was a bit iffy and letting fuel run over the
injector into the well around the injector, so I trimmed the pipe and stopped the leak, the hunting at cold start has stopped now but the stink remains, I cleaned the head off to remove the diesel spillage and I have checked the tank seal and the well around it which is nice and dry, the fuel lines seem to be pretty good for a 177K car. and there is no air in the fuel line after the fuel filter which I have also replaced in the last week, Has anyone got any ideas please to get rid of this awful diesel smell?
The bore of the leak off pipes looks a little large could it be this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Nigel. :wink:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Re: 1.9TD Citroen Xantia Diesel pong when stopping.

Post by chinkostu »

Definately sure its not a leaky return? Mine was invisible until i pumped the bulb and it went everywhere!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Thanks I'll check that , ive got an electric pump where the squeezy bulb used to be and I operate it with an rf remote control key fob, it certainly makes filter changing a lot easier, I used to run veg oil and used it in the cold weather to pump the oil, up from the tank, have been running only diesel for over a year now.
I couldn't find a replacement bulb that didn't leak. it was fine at the last filter change when I operated it a week ago,
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be the diesel that ran down the engine has not evaporated yet.

Peter
stupidxantia

Post by stupidxantia »

I would second a leaky return pipe, mine did all of the leak off pipes and the return line over a couple of days (stupid tart of a car)! The return pipe from the pump was hard to spot and was only spraying fuel when the engine was hot ... I got fed up of smelling fuel and finding puddles on the floor every day! Changed all the pipes and now the engine is nice and dry and free of leaks!
I also have a non standard filter arrangement now as the plastic filter housing started to leak the other day and that made a big mess, I run a BMW 320D inline filter now which gives a far better fuel flow and has fixed a few running issues for me with this car!
Hope that gets you on the right track to sorted :D

Graham
falling-out-with-my-car

Graham,

Just out of interest did you have the engine speeding up to about 1000 rpm at idle when it got very hot.
Ive got a new throttle cable and it seems to be something that just wont go away.
I was wondering if you were experiencing this before you replaced the fuel lines?

cheers Nigel.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Strange though it may seem, gently rinsing off a hot engine with a hose will remove diesel - just don't wash any ECUs! I think the problem will lasting diesel pongs after a leek has been fixed, is that tiny puddles of diesel get left in a myriad nooks and crannies; rinsing with water lifts these off and washes the diesel onto the floor.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I agree, diesel can hang around for ages and ages as well as creep into inaccessible paces which will prolong the pong...

Leakoff hoses should be a very good, tight fit. A little sloppy is no good at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

ok so I definitely need new leak off hoses then. that might be an aid to the hunting when the engine is cold.
I remember the BX hunting when cold because of an ill fitting set of leak off pipes.
where is the best place to find tight leak off pipes please a Main Stealers? or somewhere else?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd say a good factors.. Halfrauds ones were OK back in the past but not had any experience of them for years now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...