1.9TD fuel pump swap now non starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: 1.9TD fuel pump swap now non starter

Post by KennyW »

Tom,

Run a direct feed from a 12 v supply to the stop solenoid and see if this starts the car. Remove wre to stop.
If you follow the supply from the pump back you can find a live 12v feed from there.

I hope this helps.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

Post by xantom »

Thanks Kenny. Did that and she starts. Still getting the immobiliser light even though I left the immobiliser unit electrically connected too. I am baffled. Is it possible that something needs to be set / reset using Lexia? Anyway, it's more of a pig than it seemed because now the replacement pump is leaking from the engine side. probably from that oval bolt-on cover at the bottom, so it'll have to come off again for confirmation. I'll have to accept that getting a non leaking pump is going to involve sending off for a pump refurbishment set of seals and doing that surgically clean strip and rebuild task. More time without the car and more time working on it. Have to admit I've lost my enthusiasm for Xantia maintenance. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a younger car. Sad thing is I've been hooked on the suspension for years now and anything else seems inferior.
Tom
Tom
1998 Xantia Mk2 1.9TD Saloon
1996 Xantia 1.9TD Estate Mk1
(Previously Old Guy's)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Tom, I'm so sorry to hear the replacement pump is leaking, it does rather blunt the enthusiasm but keep going!

Odd the immobiliser light is on after just swapping the modules between pumps... I must be a connection issue as there's nothing (I know of) that can or needs to be done in Lexia..

Have a go at resealing the pump but be aware where it appears to be leaking from is no necessarily the source...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I may have a resealed, de-armoured pump almost ready to go. Need to confirm details though and it's been in storage in my shed and the exterior has got mucky (though all ports are covered/sealed).
xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

Post by xantom »

That's very interesting Mike. What do you want for it because if I can't get progress on my pumps I may be in the market.
Tom
Tom
(Previously Old Guy's)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Open to offers, Tom. I bought it off ebay for £45+ p&p and the seal kit was £12. Stripping, cleaning and resealling was an education for me, so no charge :)

I'll get more details (model number) and pictures later if you're still interested.
Last edited by MikeT on 23 Sep 2015, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
xantom

Post by xantom »

Well, I've done the pump refurb and it was a fiddly job but I managed to do it without breaking anything. Interior of the pump looked clean enough but then it's not been running pure veggie for very long. The pump from my recently demised Mk1 might look a little different if I decide to do it too. I do have a big problem though brought about by my own stupidity. I was following the excellent picture guide provided on this site but had a brain fuse at some point; I forgot to mark the throttle arm's position relative to the throttle shaft. I know ...... Is there anyway out of this ?
Also, bought myself a Lexia from China. It seems to work, I'm still faffing about trying to deduce how it works exactly, but I did get the key transponder codes from Lincoln's main Citroen dealers (for free via email. Very nice) and have I believe reset my ECU to recognise the keys again. This seems to work when I'm hooked up to the Lexia and can bring about an ignition on without the immobiliser warning. However, when I disconnect from Lexia the problem returns. I suspect the ECU has problems and isn't accepting info to keep. Maybe a battery problem. Any ideas.
Thanks
Tom
(Previously Old Guy's)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantom wrote:I forgot to mark the throttle arm's position relative to the throttle shaft. I know ...... Is there anyway out of this ?
It's not a biggie, with the lever off, turn the shaft toward the idle position until it stops and then fit the lever, moving both it and the shaft until the lever is resting against the idle speed setting screw..

That'll get you in the right area. Some tweaking of idle may need to be done but it'll be close enough to enable a start-up and initial run before fine-tuning...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantom

Post by xantom »

Phew ! Thanks Jim.
Tom
(Previously Old Guy's)
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Tom,

Well done as you proably found out I did a strip and rebuild myself a few years back. Tthe following year the car was in an accident and written off by the insurance.If you follow Jim's advise you will be up and running.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.