Xantia aux belt confusion.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MFHBlueberry
My Cars: C5 Estate VTR - Teriffic machine. I wish it weren't so complicated though.
Xantia 1.9td Mk1 - Owned for 8 years, loved it to bits. RIP
Land Rover Series 1 - Owned for 19 years, ditto.
Triumph Herald 1200 - Owned for 21 years but in desperate need of a restoration. Spare lottery win anyone?

Xantia aux belt confusion.

Post by MFHBlueberry »

I'm struggling to figure out which aux belt setup I have. All the photos I look at online look different to what I appear to have. The BoL doesn't seem to mention that bottom idler pulley.

If anyone can enlighten me I'd me most grateful!

It's a '97 Xantia 1.9td with aircon.

Many thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia aux belt confusion.

Post by CitroJim »

That's the 'old' version. The Xantia BoL does cover it - in the Routine Maintenance section...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MFHBlueberry
My Cars: C5 Estate VTR - Teriffic machine. I wish it weren't so complicated though.
Triumph Herald 1200 - Owned for 21 years but in desperate need of a restoration. Spare lottery win anyone?

Post by MFHBlueberry »

I think I understand now. It was that bottom pulley that threw me. I don't quite understand how to secure the auto tensioner with the bent metal rod though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's got a flanged Allen head bolt in the bottom of it to set the adjustment after loosening the Allen bolt in the centre of the pulley...

That's all from memory...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

CitroJim wrote:It's got a flanged Allen head bolt in the bottom of it to set the adjustment after loosening the Allen bolt in the centre of the pulley...

That's all from memory...
That Allen bolt is sometimes concealed behind a plastic 'cup' in the centre of the pulley. Also the lower securing Allen bolt (visible in the photo) has to be loosened. Loosened as in nipped up finger tight (no slack). The classic test for correct tension is that the longest free length of belt (between pulleys) can just be twisted by hand through 90°. Much easier with a proper (6mm IIRC) hex key to fit your ½" or ⅜" socket set rather than a classic Allen key.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
MFHBlueberry

Post by MFHBlueberry »

Thanks for all your help guys. Old-Guy, you were right about the plastic cup.

I successfully replaced my hydraulic pump today and was going to replace the belt whilst I had it off. Unfortunately it was too long. Silly GSF...

: )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MFHBlueberry wrote:
I successfully replaced my hydraulic pump today and was going to replace the belt whilst I had it off. Unfortunately it was too long. Silly GSF...

: )
Excellent on the pump job :)

GSF most likely supplied a belt for the later (automatic) tensioner setup...

If they have trouble, ask for one for a Peugeot 405 1.9TD with aircon... It shared the same tensioner setup...
Jim