C5 Rear Arm Bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamster99

C5 Rear Arm Bearings

Post by hamster99 »

Finally got the time to do these and have all the bits to hand.

Just realised that, unlike the front callipers, the rear ones don't appear to be removable in a single piece but are split in the middle with the bolts running through and attaching to the trailing arm.

Is there any way to avoid having to split the callipers to get them off as I'd rather not have to bleed the brakes.

Is it better to take the hub off or leave it attached to the arm?

Finally, what grease should I use for the new rear arm bearings?

Thanks

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: C5 Rear Arm Bearings

Post by Xantidote »

hamster99 wrote:the rear ones don't appear to be removable in a single piece but are split in the middle with the bolts running through and attaching to the trailing arm.
I've never seen C5 rear brake assembly, but assumed from the forum that the set up is the same as the Xantia. If that's the case, then as well as the 2 bolts which go right through the 2 caliper parts & screw into the trailing arm, there should also be a small (3mm dia?) bolt which holds the dust shield on, which also serves to clamp the 2 caliper halves together. This small dia bolt holds the 2 halves together and avoids disturbing the seal between the 2 halves.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

LOTS of Plus gas....micro blow torch the bolts, then more plus gas and leave for 12 hours applying lots more plus gas.
It is always a good thing to bleed the system as the rears are a "dead" end...well slow return.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Given the well documented problems with removing the caliper bolts, if there is no sign of corrosion twisting the caliper, you may be well advised to leave alone and split the brake pipe at the flexi. No need to remove the hub.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you take the callipers apart don't loose the 'O' rings - like I did. :oops:

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have you seen Ben's thread on calliper removal etc?

here.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Xantidote wrote:
hamster99 wrote:the rear ones don't appear to be removable in a single piece but are split in the middle with the bolts running through and attaching to the trailing arm.
I've never seen C5 rear brake assembly, but assumed from the forum that the set up is the same as the Xantia. If that's the case, then as well as the 2 bolts which go right through the 2 caliper parts & screw into the trailing arm, there should also be a small (3mm dia?) bolt which holds the dust shield on, which also serves to clamp the 2 caliper halves together. This small dia bolt holds the 2 halves together and avoids disturbing the seal between the 2 halves.
This is correct, if you leave the shield/pad retaining bolt on the callipers don't split. Stickys comments about the blow torch and plus gas are spot on as well, I'd add an impact wrench as essential myself. C5 calliper retaining bolts were greased with thread lock and are a dissimilar metal to the calliper. As such there is often galvanic corrosion the along a lot of the length of them causing the nightmare of removal.

I'm not sure if I'd leave them or be more inclined to remove them and get painted for preservation, could be a can of worms.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Complete instructions for removing Xantia rear calipers in the wiki.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

Right.....
In spite of expecting issues with the callipers, the bolts undid incredibly easy :-D :-D and i could then just hook the calipers to one side without disconnecting the brake pipes.
With arm off I have removed the outer seals and the inner part of the bearings. All good so far.
Now i cannot seem to find how to remove the outer part of each bearing, the bit that sits in the arm. I saw a diagram online a few weeks ago which showed you being able to drift it out from the opposite end but this seems impossible as there is a plastic tube inside (its called a seal protector on the service site diagram) [not sure how to include pics!!]

So, how do i get the bearing shells out....... :? :?

........or can i leave the outer bits in the arm and just change the inner bearing parts and reassemble..????

Oh, and I presume its ok to use lithium-molybdenum grease for the bearings

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Take a few pics Hamster. Load to Photobucket then link to here.
I will end up doing these sometime :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

hamster99 wrote:Right.....
In spite of expecting issues with the callipers, the bolts undid incredibly easy :-D :-D
Hazard a guess that since that since it's done 250K that they've potentially been changed before (maybe the discs were changed at some stage?, which would have been a caliper off job).
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I believe the bit in the middle is just plastic, so you just need to attack it with a screwdriver till it comes out - in pieces. Easiest way to get the inner races out is to run a bead of weld around them.
Richard W
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

RichardW wrote:I believe the bit in the middle is just plastic
Well, it certainly is on the Xantia. Doubt you can get it out without destroying it, so hope you have a replacement. Once removed, and you inspect the race remaining in the arm, you will see a tiny lip (less than 1mm) where it projects, and with care and persistence with a heavy hammer and some form of drift to engage with the lip (small cold chisel with a sharp end?), work at intervals but at opposite points all round the circumference (if you get my drift :-D ), and there you go :)

As Richard says, there's also the method of running a bead of weld all round, mentioned elsewhere on the forum - OK if you have a welder
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

What is the plastic tube in the middle for? Doesn't seem to serve any purpose as far as I can tell, other than to make it more difficult to drift the bearings out.
The service citroen site calls it a seal protector but the seals are on the outside, not inside the arm!!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

hamster99 wrote:What is the plastic tube in the middle for? Doesn't seem to serve any purpose as far as I can tell, other than to make it more difficult to drift the bearings out.
The service citroen site calls it a seal protector but the seals are on the outside, not inside the arm!!
Could it just be a cheap/lightweight method of filling the space to reduce the volume of grease needed to pack the bearings adequately?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom