Boiling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Boiling

Post by froggy »

Hi my S1 Xantia, just got off m50.......noticed gauge is at boiling point !!! :shock: can not see any obvious water leaks, need to wait until she is cool,,,,any ideas ? anyone one? cheers Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Boiling

Post by Stickyfinger »

What is boiling hot ? was it venting ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Post by froggy »

the gauge says its boiling,,,,,,,but when I try to undo the exspansion tank,,,,there is a lot of bubbling :shock:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

If its started boiling while traveling at high speed it's almost always low coolant level preventing circulation, or a blockage in the system, failed water pump, bunged up rad, failed thermostat or something else stopping water circulation.

Don't take the cap off while hot, apart from flashing to steam the coolant could boil and cause air locks.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Has the level dropped ?

and burn you badly
Don't take the cap off while hot, apart from flashing to steam the coolant could boil and cause air locks.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Sorry to hear this, Deanxm has covered all the most likely possibles there, so no need to add anything else other than suggesting to check the oil colour on the dipstick and the oil filler cap... which you can still do while the engine is hot :D (if it's not like mayonnaise, your cylinder head/gasket is ok)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

wurlycorner wrote:Sorry to hear this, Deanxm has covered all the most likely possibles there, so no need to add anything else other than suggesting to check the oil colour on the dipstick and the oil filler cap... :D
Is saying the words 'Head G@${€π failure' the same as actors mentioning THAT play? Do we just not say it until its confirmed 8-[

Oh and you should always open the expansion tank with a sea bass, best way to cook them IMO.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Ah the "Scottish Seal"....:)

Oh and you should always open the expansion tank with a sea bass, best way to cook them IMO.
I have done two steaks and a trout, some veg and a few pies % pasties on my Healey.....there is room :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I undid the filler cap of a Humber Super Snipe many years ago, it was showing hot but not boiling - until I loosened it, it took all the skin off the inside of my left arm, I had to go to hospital for weeks and it didn't half hurt.

Peter
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

You didn't do it a second time then Peter? :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Peter.N. wrote:I undid the filler cap of a Humber Super Snipe many years ago, it was showing hot but not boiling - until I loosened it, it took all the skin off the inside of my left arm, I had to go to hospital for weeks and it didn't half hurt.

Peter
But it was a lovely car Peter! Couldn't afford to run one these days though.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

it could be a rad fan switch gone causing the fan to not kick in however at motorway speeds it should be cooling by air flow rather than relying on the fan but if its bubbling and a lot of pressure in the tank its probably head gasket territory ive had three head gaskets on diferent cars and all done what your describing keep driving it with a bad gasket and you will get a nice oil covered windscreen.look for a water leak under the timing belt cover to rule out water pump, the best method is to weight some news paper under it.check coolant level make sure the fan is cutting in at correct intervals, if not, the sensor actually on the engine needs to be replaced they're about 15 yoyos or 10 pounds from a factors.elring multi layer gaskets are about fifty euro the bolts are usually reusable ive found it to not be too bad of a job,or not as bad as is usually made out but i recommend a re- skim at a good precision engineering place. if your in ireland and near enfield i recommend westward engineering.it could as other lads have pointed out be just the thermostat stuck closed.start there with parts replacement and diagnosis.im not scare mungering by the way just giving a line of inquiry as such.
Darren
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Easiest way to check for the Head gasket is to start the engine from cold with the expansion tank cap off and then look for streams of small bubbles whilst revving the engine.

Then, whist still cold, pop the cap back on and whilst revvuing the engine, see if the top hose goes very hard very soon. If it does it denotes that compressed air from a leaky gasket is pressurising the cooling system..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

qprdude wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:I undid the filler cap of a Humber Super Snipe many years ago, it was showing hot but not boiling - until I loosened it, it took all the skin off the inside of my left arm, I had to go to hospital for weeks and it didn't half hurt.

Peter
But it was a lovely car Peter! Couldn't afford to run one these days though.
They were a lovely car but I certainly couldn't afford to run one now. I had two, the first was a late '50s with the 2.6 engine and a Stromberg carburettor and that could manage 27mpg on a long run, then I had a 1960 3 litre with an ordinary Zenith carb, that did 16mpg!! lovely car though, had picnic tables in the back.

My wife worked for a Rootes garage in Sevenoaks so we got them at a very reasonable price. We had a Hawk first, very cheap, it had seat covers so I thought the seats were shot, when I took them off there was virtually new red leather underneath - they don't make them like that any more.

Dean

No, I've never done it since.

Peter
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Deanxm wrote:If its started boiling while traveling at high speed it's almost always low coolant level preventing circulation, or a blockage in the system, failed water pump, bunged up rad, failed thermostat or something else stopping water circulation.

D
Been there with several cars over the last 45 years. In my experience, the most common cause (after a slack/failing fan-belt, which doesn't apply to Xantias!) is a failing/failed thermostat - I've lost count of the number I've replaced in various cars over the years. I've had to replace the Green lady's twice - within a couple of weeks of buying her when she started to get hot and bothered on our first fast motorway trip in her, the second time about 5 years later after similar, but less severe circumstances.

The thermostat needs changing at the same time as the cambelt - a minor addition and, like the water-pump, avoids all the inconvenience and expense of failure in the near future.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)