My Xantia Estate 1.9 D turbo went drag racing!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stupidxantia

Re: The thing that is a xantia!

Post by stupidxantia »

lexi wrote:Unless you just love working on the car.........constantly, you are far better off with an HDI. With diesel at £1.06 and 50 mpg, along with 20bhp more?
No Mot issues etc. From years of cars and building, modifying stuff.......standard is much less hassle and always cheaper in the long run.

It isn't what you asked but someone had to say it :lol:
The problem is a HDi is no fun and not as tuneable ... the only reason a tuned diesel is "more work" is if you don't maintain it properly!
I would put money on my 1.9td being faster than any standard HDi at the moment.
All preference I guess, and if we were all the same then life would be boring
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

stupidxantia wrote: I would put money on my 1.9td being faster than any standard HDi at the moment.
I can go with that, I've been in a well-sorted 1.9TD and it was impressive...

Not as impressive as the Pug 205 STDT (the Turbo 1.7D). That car, even in standard tune, was wicked and would leave a 205GTi in the dust...

I've had an example of both and speak from experience...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stupidxantia

Post by stupidxantia »

A friend of mine has such a 205, difference is it has a 1.9 td xud in it. That car is comical when it comes to speed, surprises me every time I go in it even has an Ldv pilot van cam in it (apparently has a longer inlet duration)!

In other news we took out the in tank filter this afternoon, the seal wasn't fitted correctly and was making the top of the tank wet ... not really clogged but it got cleaned anyway! Someone in the past has put in unfiltered used veg as there are bits floating in there. I always use centrifuge filtered with no water or bits in it. Regarding the light coming on it now only does it at idle so I guess I need to alter fuelling slightly still ... takes a while to get it right but will get there in the end!

has anyone else done the corrector cleaning that can advise as to what can go wrong during the process?? I have read the guide which is excellent, but not really clear about the removal of the front one (b.o.l is no better though).

Graham
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A 205 with a 1.9 XUD is a bit good although of the two engines I much prefer the 1.7. Seems a bit more eager and livelier to me. A bit revvier perhaps as the 1.6 GTi engine is to the 1.9 GTi...

The front corrector is OK to remove but needs to be wriggled out and it'll only come out (and go back in) in one way!

Undo the three hydraulic pipes and leakback pipe, pop off the dogbone, disconnect the manual height lever linkage and after undoing the mounting bolts, wriggle out..

Guide for overhauling the HCs here

(Reminds me, I must put all my web pages like this in the FCF wiki...)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

CitroJim wrote:...Reminds me, I must put all my web pages like this in the FCF wiki...)
That'll keep you amused for hours and hours!

Seriously, it will a be a lot of work. In the short-term, why not just put links to your own pages on the appropriate wiki pages (some of which probably don't exist yet)?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's an excellent idea Guy!!! Never thought of that :roll: :oops: :rofl2:
Jim

stupidxantia

Post by stupidxantia »

So it's fairly straight forward to get the front one off then? lol

It looks like it is in a cradle and the last time I was under there I really couldn't see the 3 pipes, or a way the darn thing would fit through the gap either. Everything on this car is so cramped in ... almost like they built the car and then fitted the engine as an after thought!

I cannot for the life of me figure out how it all comes to bits ... b.o.l says "simply undo these bolts and pull it out" haha
All this talk of ball joints etc, could someone supply some pictures of the front corrector removal? If I can see how it all comes out I might get the guts to do the job ... will take some pics of how the cr sits normally see what you guys think
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
stupidxantia

Post by stupidxantia »

^^^
Top man ... many thanks!

Photobucket is pooh and won't let me upload video's and share them straight away so pics will have to do for now!

Front from floor level including yellow headlamps (and lots of dirt from recent trip to malham and lots of repair work going on)!

Drivers side, again lots of dirt (sorry about that) ... I think the back is high and the front is too low!

Passenger side after some urk pulled off the door trim and broke all the clips in the process :roll: really why do that??

Straight on from the back ... I really think that it's sitting too high at the back, Also have straight pipe on at the moment until I have a better system made! This helps to stop the corrosive gasses from sitting under the back and rotting out the n/s wing (also makes it faster lol)

As soon as I have the vids uploaded I will post them but it may take a while til they get approved ... we will see :?
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

This car looks oddly familiar. Autoshiter?
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
stupidxantia

Post by stupidxantia »

Ah video's already ...

First video is of height alterations, When I got in the car it was on normal driving height and I set it to low (note how far the front doesn't move). Then I set the car to high service (which all goes fairly well). Then I dropped it to normal again ... back drops normally and the front doesn't until I put the lever to low and back to normal as soon as the front starts to move!
Hope that brings everyone to the conclusion I have made of a sludged or sticky height corrector :? :?:

Sorry about the quality as the camera is old vids are not too great with it!

Second vid just a quick blast in the car on the way home from taking pics and stuff .. never got out of 4th :( not enough room lol

Quality is very poor but you can get the idea ... the damn ignition fault light thing came on as usual when it was on idle but stays out at all other times!
I just hope that photobucket doesn't make the video's jumpy like they normally do.

And yes an Autoshiter. Car was bought by me about 2 years ago .. it threw a mechanical tantrum so I gave it to my brother (another autoshiter) for the sum of £140. Then when I moved up here 2 months ago he offered me the car back, so I paid him £600 for it because he fitted a new clutch and a new towbar. Also I missed it allot more than I thought I would! I have in the last month spent loads of cash on brakes, belts and other stuff so it's getting there ... the tuning however has been totally free, which is a bonus I guess!

Graham
chinkostu
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

It does look as though the correctors are sticking. Rear looks too high aswell
Stu

Cars
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
stupidxantia

Post by stupidxantia »

chinkostu wrote:It does look as though the correctors are sticking. Rear looks too high aswell
Can you alter the height that these sit at in any way or is this simply to do with the correctors?
I am still learning with this car 2 years on lol
chinkostu
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

watching the video it does look like the front is waaaay too low. the dogbone has probably snapped if the normal setting isn't working, not a massive job but a faff all the same. rear end is a touch high in my opinion, could be worn dogbone or sticky corrector.

best bet is to get under and make sure this part is attached! Image

from what I can gather they are sacraficial, being plastic, so that if anything happens you won't break the corrector or the clamp on the ARB. The height control manually forces the car into certain heights, whereas in the driving position the right height is controlled by the linkage connected to the antiroll bars to make it self levelling. this is why it works when you select low/high but putting it back to the middle does nothing.
Stu

Cars
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

STANDARD WARNING....DO this work with the car on ramps (raised) or with it on stands not a jack.
CITROEN'S can Kill you if/when they decided to lower unexpectedly.

It needs to be on a ramp for the height adjustment to be done correctly.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting