99 Xantia front brake caliper

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroDane
My Cars:

99 Xantia front brake caliper

Post by citroDane »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to remove the front brake calipers to have them reconditioned. On one side I'm fighting with getting the retaining bolts off and on the other side where I have managed to get them off, I am fighting with detaching the handbrake cable end from the caliper. I have disconnected the cable end from the lug on the caliper by by moving the lug back and pull the cable end/tip to one side. But with the caliper loose -having removed the retaining bolts- the cable end still won't go back through the hole/passage on the caliper where the cable end is seated. When I try to pull the cable end back and out, its dust cover (boot) gets squeezed till it's all collapsed and I stop because I'm afraid I'd damage the dust cover and the cable if I pull more. Does anyone have a tip for this (and/or) how to deal with stubborn caliper retaining bolts?

Thanks a bunch in advance,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: 99 Xantia front brake caliper

Post by KennyW »

Lots of penetrating fluid on bolts and patience. Re brake cables lots of grease or penetrating fluid and wiggling of cable and it will eventually come out,

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

KennyW wrote:Lots of penetrating fluid on bolts and patience. Re brake cables lots of grease or penetrating fluid and wiggling of cable and it will eventually come out,

Kenny
Thanks Kenny. Will try!
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

KennyW wrote:Lots of penetrating fluid on bolts and patience. Re brake cables lots of grease or penetrating fluid and wiggling of cable and it will eventually come out,

Kenny
Hi Kenny,

After a long struggle, a combination of lots of lubricant and a long lever to extend the socket wrench did the job. As for the hand brake cables, as you suggested, lots of grease and wiggling and off they came! :-)

Thanks a lot for your support,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...