IMPORTING CAR FROM FRANCE.Anyone done this?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ocellia
My Cars: History of Citroens since 425cc 2CV van in '79, on through Dyanes, 4 DSs, Traction Commerciale, 4 CXs, 4 GSAs AX Gti, even a Saxo.

IMPORTING CAR FROM FRANCE.Anyone done this?

Post by Ocellia »

I'm toying with importing an XM from France (French XMs had DIRAVI) late model hydractive 2, 3L auto.
Has anyone done this? What technicalities does one have to go through to get it through customs etc?
All input gratefully received.
Chris in Bristol
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: IMPORTING CAR FROM FRANCE.Anyone done this?

Post by xantia_v6 »

I haven't done it myself, but it should be easy if you have all the registration documentation from France.

I presume you know that only V6 XMs had DIRAVI and only until the arrival of the ES9 engine in 1997, so technically there is no 'late' XM with DIRAVI.

I have seen deisel XMs advertised in France which have been converted to DIRAVI, but the factory never fitted DIRAVI and anti-sink to the same car, so converting an ES9 car would have some unique challenges.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Trailer pick up a "for restoration" or driving it back ?

French version of the V5/MoT will be needed to drive it back, Insurance for the French car can be obtained for about 50/100euro if your driving it.
On a trailer, get a bill of sale as a min but best is the FrenchV5, remove all plates from the car.

On return
Register it 1st with the VaT man to allow them to electronically register it as zero VAT due, then apply for the form from DVLA.
Insurance and MOT (on the vin plate) will be required before a plate will be issued.

Lights/Speedo (? if MPH is not shown on dial....not on a Xantia) need changing
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Ocellia
My Cars: History of Citroens since 425cc 2CV van in '79, on through Dyanes, 4 DSs, Traction Commerciale, 4 CXs, 4 GSAs AX Gti, even a Saxo.

Post by Ocellia »

Thanks guys. Have since discovered that the VENDOR'S insurance covers the car until midnight of day of purchase! So......quick exit!
(And VIN insurance in UK)
Thanks, Xantia_V6! for the diravi info! I hadn't realised that the post-97 cars HADN'T got diravi. Must get the variations sorted in ma tete!
There don't seem to be many in UK and I often think the LHD is 'how it was meant to be' in same way as the DS had all sorts of strange adaptions for RHD!
Looking at a nice one, 1997 V6 but it has diravi. 170 bhp...So it must be the previous(12V?) engine. As ever, I like to get the best one I can find, so was presuming the Hyd2 car was it.
So...(I see you have one) a Mk 2 is latest but no diravi?.
You wouldn't guess I'd been a Citroen fan since the 70s.....though minutiae of XMs has passed me by!I'll try and find a spec page on line.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The 170 bhp engine is the 12 valve PRV, I prefer the ES9, as they run more smoothly, and are a bit more economical (especially than a PRV with automatic transmission).

I have a 1999 ES9 Exclusive with manual transmission, which is fairly rare even in France, and a couple of weeks ago I bought a 1999 ES9 auto to use as a parts car (it had had a minor front-end collision, and needs a catalytic converter).

If you can get to one of the gatherings of the clan you should try to test-drive a PRV and an ES9 to see which you prefer, everyone seems to have a strong preference for one or the other.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I bought my DS in France and drove it all the way home, no problem getting insurance from the UK which included recovery, no problem at Calais, simply drove it home then later got an MOT (can't drive it in the UK after journey home until registered) and registered with DVLA, simples provided you have all the documentation and have followed the rules.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Ocellia

Post by Ocellia »

ES9 sounds good. Smoothness? Good. 'Economy'-good! Though I want Auto, definitely despite reading that the box runs hot (anyone?)
Anyone lpg-d one? Will try getting to Lower Harwood meet later (1st for a dozen years!)
Though some say the 2L turbo is near as quick as the 3L, I like unstressed engines.
May as well get the best I can in my dotage! And after a Lexus LS400......amazingly put together, but......be nice to drive something with style!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The ES9 has the 4HP20 automatic transmission, which is an electronically controlled transmission with very good performance, and almost bulletproof, except that the internal oil filter cannot be changed without removing the engine and transmission from the car, and when the filter gets clogged, the transmission fails comprehensively. There is quite a lot of documentation on this site about the problem.

Did you see
http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... =11&t=7379" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rxlhza05b6ce ... jJZyNXBL0a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks nice in the pictures, it might be worth a look?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here's a guide to rebuilding a 4HP20, showing the oil filter..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think it's a mismatch to try comparing PRV and ES9 motors. They are so different, and many aspects of them will impart a different "feel" to their respective chasses.

The PRV is definitely more fickle in maintenance terms, and fiddlier. Not a good choice at all, for someone who's cutting their teeth on an XM. It's less smooth, and more pushrod V8-like in the way it delivers power - especially when you stall it up and launch. I actually quite like the motor, but would also be happy with an ES9 powered barge to keep it company.

As to LPG - I personally think this should only be done as a dedicated system, and the ECU re-flashed to make use of the fuel. If you're buying a luxobarge, fuel consumption isn't really a priority other than in terms of reflecting the engine's health.
Ocellia

Post by Ocellia »

The Club XM one looks good. Must check out! Thanks a lot. And for all the auxiliary assistance here!
bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

Post by bill hughes »

Most lhd cars in France have kph speedos and no mph reading unlike rhd cars which usually have both, just a thought as I do not know the car you are discussing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

This is true for the Xantia, I had to change mine for the MoT.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

That's strange - the speedo doesn't even have to work for an MoT (or never used to)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

van ordinaire wrote:That's strange - the speedo doesn't even have to work for an MoT (or never used to).
While it may not have to work for the MoT, it does need to be accurate (within certain limits; the speed indicated must be that speed or LESS by a specified percentage) if it does work, but it is reasonable for it to show the speed in the units used in the country of use. If the Speedo only shows KMH then it is a problem in the UK, but if it has KMH and MPH it is OK.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!