Xantia Fanproblem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sarvjohan
My Cars:

Xantia Fanproblem

Post by sarvjohan »

Hey!

So I've browsed around here and found many with a similar problem with the fan stop working. And since i'm quite the beginner with cars in general I did an attempt and failed.

It started with my fan all of the sudden started to blow at max speed at all times. Read alot about the problem and stuff around it. Decided to go with the solution to change transistors. So I ordered a new pair of transistors MJ11015G if i'm not wrong. And everything ran smooth, removing fan and after some struggle changing the transistors aswell.

Problem I have now is that when I start the car with the fan off. And I turn it on it runs for like 2sec then it dies. This is everytime I start the car. Thought it might be a fuse the first time but then it should only have worked a few seconds the first time and not after. That is if there is no automatic fuses which I assume there isn't.

Anyone have any tip? I'm lost :D

It's a -99 model.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Fanproblem

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum :-D

My guess here is that you've displaced/lost the little disc thermistor that sits on the heatsink in a circular well. This thermistor guards against thermal runaway if the heatsink gets too hot and will then gracefully close down the speed regulator to protect the transistors.

The thermistor disc contacts the printed circuit board via a small spring finger...

Check it's still in place and making contact with its contact finger...

It's easy to loose it when busy replacing the transistors. You used the right ones but did you ensure they came from the same batch? If they come from different batches one can run very much hotter than the other and could trip the over-temperature protection discussed above.

The batch number is the 'other' letters and numbers on the top of the transistor..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sarvjohan
My Cars:

Post by sarvjohan »

Ahh, yeah I had some troubles with that thermistor. Gonna check it tomorrow to see if it's there, or maybe it lacks contact since I didn't have any copperpaste to add to it.

I'll check the batch aswell tomorrow and return with some new questions :)

Thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

sarvjohan wrote: I'll check the batch aswell tomorrow and return with some new questions :)

Thanks!
No worries, ask away :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sarvjohan
My Cars:

Post by sarvjohan »

So it seems to be the same batch, and the thermistor is still there. Bought some copperpaste to add so it gets better contact.

Was thinking, when i removed the old transistors they had this sticky white stuff on. I'm gonna assume it is to not get contact against the metal? And I never added anything new there. Do I need to add this aswell or should that not be a problem?

Since I got the fan inside and broken down in pieces might aswell fix everything once I'm at it :p
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

sarvjohan wrote:...when i removed the old transistors they had this sticky white stuff on.
This is what's usually known as heat-sink paste (thermal conductive grease/paste). It's essential purpose is to conduct heat from the transistors to the heat-sink (and from the heat-sink to the thermistor). When fresh, it's the consistency of toothpaste. With age it dries out but generally continues to do it's job until disturbed.

Without the good thermal path to the heat-sink, the transistors will fry themselves and the thermistor won't be able to get a sensible temperature from the heat-sink.

You should be able to get a little tube of it from any shop that sells computer spares or online from someone like Maplin.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Personally I would use silver conductive paste (if you can). It is somewhat better at conducting heat, and it doesn't go hard (which may be a point against it here, as it may be being used as a glue as well), so if you have to take the heat sink off in the future it won't put up a fight. This is the sort of stuff I mean;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-Silver ... 2a52d22d4a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
sarvjohan
My Cars:

Post by sarvjohan »

Ahh okey, so it's to connect not keep away.

Bought a tube at the computerstore on my way home so I already have one that I bought for the thermistor. I'll remove the transistors and add it there aswell then!

But that itself shouldn't cause the fan to stop after two seconds?

I'll start over and add the paste to everything and try the fan again.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Lack of heatsink compound could as the transistors may have their own protection built-in..

never use too much paste. A light smear is all that's needed and no need for any of the fancy stuff.

Make sure the transistors are tightly bolted down to the heatsink. Don't solder the base and emitter wires until they are fully bolted down.
Jim

sarvjohan
My Cars:

Post by sarvjohan »

A thought just struck me, do I have to worry about any polarity on the transistors? Cause I have no clue how the old one were mounted. -_-
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OK, so the fancy stuff isn't needed. I am just used to using it in PCs, where heat issues can cause weird problems (so I always use good quality silver paste).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
sarvjohan
My Cars:

Post by sarvjohan »

Late answer due to personal stuff that made me put the fan aside for a while!

Pulled it apart and added thermal compound to everything and put it back together. Runs perfect!

Thanks alot people!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That is excellent :-D Delighted to hear it!
Jim