C5 cruise control limiting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Stevens
My Cars:

C5 cruise control limiting

Post by Richard Stevens »

Really been enjoying using the cruise control, for better economy, smoothness and that general relaxation so good on long journeys.
On my last trip, however, I found that on the steeper climbs (French motorways, so not desperate stuff!) the selected speed gradually drops off. Application of the right foot gives me the power, so there is more in there.
Oil and water temps are fine, and idle is also. No other signs or symptoms; it seems the control is not giving sufficient 'authorisation' for more power.

I haven't seen a thread on this before though I would not be surprised if there is one in here somewhere.

Haven't been to anywhere commercial for advice yet, thought this is the best place to start.... anyone got some ideas?

RichS
1995 ZX Turbo diesel Volcane
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
2006 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive
Remember - many warnings are spurious or bad connections
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Re: C5 cruise control limiting

Post by rmunns »

Haven't learnt yet how to use Cruise, but did engage the limiter and found it spooky that there is no more power when you reach the set speed. But useful on motorways to avoid exceeding speed limits?
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

rmunns wrote:Haven't learnt yet how to use Cruise, but did engage the limiter and found it spooky that there is no more power when you reach the set speed. But useful on motorways to avoid exceeding speed limits?
It's a speed limiter so it's designed to not exceed the speed you set, even if you want it to.
There is a safety feature which overrides the limit if you jam the accelerator to the floor (there's a switch there) so that you can get out of trouble if needed.
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
PompeyLad
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive facelift 2006 hatch
C5 1.6 HDI VTR hatch 2004
Xantia 2.0 HDI exclusive 99
ZX 2.0 turbo diesel Volcane

Post by PompeyLad »

Yes, the limiter is the other function of the cruise control system.
Haven't found the need to use it though, the real benefit is from steady cruising.

It's easy to use; you turn the bezel down and press in the end button on the stalk when you're at the speed you want. The car controls at that speed unless you a) press the button again b) accelerate or c) brake. If you accelerate, the selected control speed remains and will flash. If you then take your foot off the accelerator the car will drop back to the selected speed and carry on controlling. You alter the controlled speed by the top and bottom finger presses on the control arm.

But what actually inputs the fuel signals to control and supply power when required? That's the problem here.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Richard Stevens wrote:... On my last trip, however, I found that on the steeper climbs (French motorways, so not desperate stuff!) the selected speed gradually drops off....
Several times I admired how fine the cruise control of my C5 II works. It works smoothly and keeps up perfectly with the speed setpoint. Passenger never knows if the cruise control is set ON or OFF. Of course I compare all this with my previous car Xantia's cruise control :) Usually I don't use the cruise control if I am driving a rental car. Never used the speed limiter function in C5 II. I think it's an "useless" feature.

French highway sections like Lille -> Paris and Paris -> Reims -> Metz have been tested with no complaints. Also a bit more steeper climbs between Innsbruck (Austria) - Bolzano (Italy) have also been tested 8-) Mine is a 2 l petrol engine and I use only E98 or E100 as sold in some countries.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

strange one this, the first thing I would do here is make sure the injection ECU software is updated to the latest version, if you have an autobox this should also be updated at the same time.
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Thanks, Wheeler; yes it is strange, and I shall monitor it closely on my next trip. Like VertVega, I've previously found it amazingly accurate and reliable - it's a great feature.
Should the 'injection EGU software' need updating? I mean I haven't taken the car to any workshops where it could get corrupted, so should it need any action?
But I will run it into a local workshop, they may have encountered it before.
It's as if it's not trying hard enough. It recovers as the hill levels out, so it seems it's simply not opening the throttle enough.
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

One possible issue is that someone has been there before you in Lexia and altered the cruise parameters as in the amount of leeway cruise allows, normally it'll be 2 maybe 3 mph but if the setting is higher it may explain the "lazy" response of cruise.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Thanks, but I've had the car a couple of years and the fault, if it is a fault, has just come up in the last month or so.
No-one else has been close to it.
I'm in deepest Norfolk, but will get to a suitable garage in the next few days for an opinion or a check.
Any answer will be posted here.....
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Well, I went to my 'nearby' Citroen garage and described the symptoms.
My man would not admit to having heard of the problem before, but said they could put the car onto their
diagnostics and see what there was.
I said I'd get more detail first, which I will when I'm off to France again in a couple of days.
As a precaution I have replaced the fuel filter, not due for another 15k miles. It was perfectly clean, so at least that's off the list of suspects.
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi Richard

Which car is this as you have several listed. I use the cruise control on my C5 alot for motorway driving when there are average speed cameras like the A14 to the A1M and A127 in to southend. It should maintain the speed set no matter what the terrain. How often does it do this?

I have had on the rare occasion my C5 start accelerating even with the cruise control on! I simply switched it off and then back on again and it was fine. I put it down to the famous quirky citroen electrics :lol: Latest one is that using the tilt switch to close the sunroof actually then operates the slide function! Bit annoying when it rains and you want to close the sunroof to have it let even more rain in. I'll lexia it at the weekend. Point is that this seems normal behaviour for some older citroens.
Good luck with the diagnostic at the garage tho mate :)
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

C5 sunroof should close automatically when it starts to rain.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

I agree, it should but there ahve been a few occasions where closing the tilt has caused the sunroof to then open the slide. I've done a lexia and it flagged up a fault, something about voltage to sunroof out of range or accepted parameter. Maybe a BSI reset will help. Not a big deal but just goes to highlight that C5 electrics are a little quirky :lol:
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Just got back from France. Cruise control working as originally reported. The car is the 2006 2.0 HDI, by the way.
Having tried various things on the trip, I can sum it up by saying that it works well when not asked to try too hard!
But give it a steep-ish incline or descent and it wanders away from the set figure. It will adjust as normal according to demands on the switches, but won't accelerate on a hill once it drops below the set speed, no matter how far you select above the set speed. Put your foot down and the power's there, though, which is reassuring.
It has improved the economy, though. I mean, why charge up the hill at 75mph when it's almost as good getting to the top at 68mph? I did a 450 mile trip at 56 mph average, at 50.3 mpg. So I'm not desperate to spend too much on fixing it!
And some commentators say the C5 has no charisma!
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI