Move Centre Screen Display to speedometer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Move Centre Screen Display to speedometer

Post by Sloppysod »

Question - is it possible to move what ever is displayed on the center information screen onto the speedometer?

Because - If I rotate the small wheel on the fixed hub I see the (1) Digital speed, (2) fuel consumption and a (3) blank screen,(the blank screen is where the OEM satnav would be) therefore is it possible to move the all or some (radio & function) of the information from the central display onto the speedometer, if so I could then replace the central display with an Andriod tablet for SAT-NAV & rear view camera. :?:
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Move Centre Screen Display to speedometer

Post by vborovic »

Nope ... what you want has just recently been introduced at the latest BMW's Series 5 & 7 ... to freely set up the instrument panel (don't know if you can call it that anymore) and the central dash screen per the driver's choice.

The Peugeot 508 displays radio (or at least MP3) details on the instrument panel ... I know VW's and Skoda's have the instrument panel screen that (almost) acts as a double for the dash screen .. but it is not 100% usable without the dash screen (currently at least)
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Thank you, Vborovic time to think of another way, possibly move the display to beneath the radio, I have seen it somewhere :(
Or
get a genuine Radio/Screen set up and retrofit like you did.
:( :(
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

It can be done, to move the orange screen below the radio, but it would require heavy modification of the small compartment (open variant) or the closed compartment (which would then be unusable) ... the single cable that goes from the radio to the screen can easily reach below the radio ... can't remember if I've seen the actual result on some C5 ... and then you could install the android table in the dash (again, with heavy plastic modification, or replacing it with a bigger hole dash panel) ... now, as for the Android + Reverse Camera, this is a bit tricky (good start is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google ... amera.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) ... my solution, possibly the best (next to the genuine solution of course), but it costs ... a lot ... and I'm still not 100% of the initial plan of what I want to put in the car regarding the multimedia ... :D
Last edited by vborovic on 17 Aug 2015, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Mmmm, good videos, and idea, back to doing a little more thinking about moving the display as a viable option would be one of these, but what is the quality like?http://www.aliexpress.com/price/citroen ... price.html or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgO-7uK1hs as they do it with the rear camera option.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

They mostly run on Windows CE 6.0, which was released on the November 1st 2006 ... you do the math ... :D ... it works, but what about the support, the actual user-friendly interface, the possibilities to modify something yourself (like in the case of Android, or "regular" Win CE devices), I honestly don't know ... definitely cheaper than genuine sets (used or new), but will they work for years (with stability and consistence in mind), one can only go for it and test it ...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Sloppysod wrote:Mmmm, good videos, and idea, back to doing a little more thinking about moving the display as a viable option would be one of these, but what is the quality like?http://www.aliexpress.com/price/citroen ... price.html or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgO-7uK1hs as they do it with the rear camera option.
That's a very roundabout way of doing things!
I'd remove the tablet's own camera and fit it remotely. You'd just need to call the built-in camera app when required.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

If you're going to install rear view camera with Android tablet, you don't need that small display if you install also aftermarket head unit. I got one, and only thing I need that small screen for is for the stock parking sensor system display. At least on -08 exclusive that display isn't duplicated on the speedometer display. I considered also installing Nexus 7 on the dash, but lately I've had other things to do, so I scrapped that idea.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Sloppysod wrote:If I rotate the small wheel on the fixed hub I see the (1) Digital speed, (2) fuel consumption and a (3) blank screen,(the blank screen is where the OEM satnav would be)
Just noticed this, but for the sake of argument, the blank screen is a blank screen (as a possible display choice), if you'd have the nav fitted, you'd have the instrument panel configured to add another page ... I have blank -> speed -> trip1 -> trip2 -> navigation ... the configuring options also support parking sensors (for Japan only, don't ask me, I've tried to enable it, but it didn't work, maybe on another type of car) ... and the hydractive page (don't have a hydractive car, so I don't know if there is a dedicated page for it, I know the suspension change/status will get displayed on the center screen, but not full time)