Cabin & Door Mirrors, replace on an S1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Cabin & Door Mirrors, replace on an S1

Post by Stickyfinger »

So I have options which for me raises some questions regarding electric (and you all know how thick I am on sparkie stuff)

I have mirrors that have been painted (the whole unit incld the door mounts), each one has a single busted motor so they need rebuilding or just swapping. I hate the paint on them.

I have at hand, a set from another S1, normal motors but also with faulty motors & non heated mirrors, I also have a set of S2 mirrors with heated glass and a folding system in the drivers side....both work OK

Rebuild the spare S1 set (unpainted) using the motor units from the S2
Fit the S2 ones and switch the connectors on the motor units only
Fit the S2 ones and install the wires etc for the fold and heating (is this BSI controlled ?)

Also, I am having vision problems as the rear view mirror is so low it is causing me (6ft4in) vision problems on corners etc, can I remove the black coating on the glass (I have a dremel), I plan to raise it as far up as poss.
BUT, I have all the required gubbins for the rain sensor type from the S2, is it a easy fit or again, is it under BSI control ?

Any help would be rewarded with a quick kiss of any one of my chickens :) (SinHead O'Chicken is the best looking)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Cabin & Door Mirrors, replace on an S1

Post by elma »

You talking c5 or Xantia?
If Xantia then s2 go straight on s1 cars. Only issue is the temp sensor is in the wrong side but is easy to swap over. I have an s1 and an s2 mirror on red. Are your originals heated?

If its c5 sorry no idea.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hi Elma...S1 Xantia bud, the C5 has all the goodies :)

They are unheated, as a South of France car, it does not have any of the winter pack on it. I do not mind to much if it cannot be fitted (without a shed load of wires added) as it will be in bed all winter. I know they physically fit and swapping the motor connector is easy, just wondering about enabling the "extras" and how easy that would be.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I think you'll find the wiring for the heaters will be in place Alasdair... Pop a door card off and have a butchers...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I think you're looking for these connectors on the left.
I don't know which is for heated but if you have one unplugged test it with a multimeter whilst turning on and off the heated screen.

I could go and take my door card off and check which one if you like. It's the sort of task I can do right now and I'm climbing the walls with boredom today.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's the ones...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Stickyfinger wrote:So I have options which for me raises some questions regarding electric (and you all know how thick I am on sparkie stuff)

I have mirrors that have been painted (the whole unit incld the door mounts), each one has a single busted motor so they need rebuilding or just swapping. I hate the paint on them.

I have at hand, a set from another S1, normal motors but also with faulty motors & non heated mirrors, I also have a set of S2 mirrors with heated glass and a folding system in the drivers side....both work OK

Rebuild the spare S1 set (unpainted) using the motor units from the S2
Fit the S2 ones and switch the connectors on the motor units only
Fit the S2 ones and install the wires etc for the fold and heating (is this BSI controlled ?)

Also, I am having vision problems as the rear view mirror is so low it is causing me (6ft4in) vision problems on corners etc, can I remove the black coating on the glass (I have a dremel), I plan to raise it as far up as poss.
BUT, I have all the required gubbins for the rain sensor type from the S2, is it a easy fit or again, is it under BSI control ?

Any help would be rewarded with a quick kiss of any one of my chickens :) (SinHead O'Chicken is the best looking)
I think that your activa should have body colour painted mirror covers, but probably not a dipping passenger mirror (which would not be much use in the UK anyway).
The LH mirror from your mk2 V6 will be a dipping mirror, but your LH door (being LH drive) wont have the wiring for dipping. I think that LHD and RHD mirrors may also have different magnification (curvature) of the glass on each side.

Do your current mirrors have the clip-on smooth covers (designed for painting) or the textured backs?

The automatic wipers on a Mk2 are a stand-alone system, so can be retrofitted to a Mk1, but you really need to strip out the harnessess, connectors and relays. (I have such a harness stripped out of a mk2, but did not get around to fitting it to a Mk1 Xantia, and have not worked out where to fit a rain sensor on and XM.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

What I have in the S2...

I am sure you are correct re the wires etc if I remember the insides of the Activa doors (it raining so I cannot look atm) there is no large alloy plug holder as above.....I had not thought of the mirror curvature....I can still swap the glass over, the curvature may in fact help me on a left hooker, it may not ?, but I can apply with blue tack and see what they are like
The covers are colour coded (green) on the S2 car as well as on the donor S1Activa...so I can use those bodies and paint the covers Red or Silk black depending on my taste....what do you guys think, Silk black or Colour Coded red as the car ?

It seems likely from what you are saying that the looms are not fitted for the auto wipes....so I can forget that (hardly a massive problem) and certainly not worth the effort for the sake of a finger twitch :)

Any thoughts on removing the black screen patch ? its not that large so will not be as big a problem as the mirror itself but it would be nice to clean up the look from outside. I wonder what a sporty dash mount would look like :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider