C5 turbo replaced, and now this?!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

C5 turbo replaced, and now this?!

Post by RustyUK »

Hello chaps,

Quick backstory, I mentioned a little while ago the VNT of my turbo was seized (C5 2.0 2009). I bought a recon turbo (from aet-turbos.co.uk, local to me, recommend them), all the various parts from Citroen (oil tube, gaskets, seals etc), discovered I'm just not fit (ie: slim) enough to do this on my back, so booked in with a local garage recommended to me. They charged me the 5 hours quoted, although say it took them 12, due to having to remove the subframe, replacing sheared bolts etc. Ok, fine.

The saga isn't over - they've forgotten to replace the left hand steering rack bolt! Nor did they use any of the additional bits I provided, so I'm still on the original oil pipe, pre-cat clamp/gasket etc. I'll be screaming at them about the missing bolt tomorrow. Oh, and they handed it back with the engine fault light on. That turned out to be a turbo sensor short, which I've cleared, so far hasn't come back... yet. Still, they would have known.

But what's really got me stressed is now, all of a sudden, it seems the clutch is slipping. Engine revs higher than the car accelerates (although boy, does it accelerate now with a proper turbo!) and by the time I got home, strong burning clutch smell.

I'm not missing anything am I - there can't possibly be a link between all that work and suddenly the clutch slipping / burning? As much as I don't want to believe it, I think this is just sheer further bad luck. The engine had lost a lot of horses in the time I've owned it (since around May), and now that's fixed, it seems most likely that lots more bhp has revealed a weakened clutch? If there's any possible connection to the work that's been done, I'd love to hear your thoughts, although I can't think this one is really negligence.

I'm due to go on holiday to Cornwall end of the month - I think after several thousand pounds spent I'll still end up having to hire another car :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 turbo replaced, and now this?!

Post by Peter.N. »

I think the problem is that the clutch was already worn before the turbo was replaced but previously the engine wasn't generating enough torque to make it slip. If you can bring yourself to not let it slip it could last for several thousand more miles.

Peter
RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

Post by RustyUK »

Yeah, that's really my feeling too, lots more horses in the engine now - but just means I file it under Yet More Bad Luck rather than negligence. It's just another punch while I'm down!

The missing steering rack bolt, on the other hand... I'm loath to even drive the car now I've seen that. Looking on docbackup, the clutch job looks too much for me at the moment. Yet more hundreds on labour, but I've literally run out of garages I can trust :(
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Savoy Garages have a very good rep. Check them out in the Recommended section. They cannot give prices until they see what needs to be done (otherwise somebody will lose out), but members keep using them.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would second that.