C5 Axle stand locations

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

C5 Axle stand locations

Post by Ben82 »

Hi All,

Where's the best place to put the axle stands (or best place to lift the car to have axle stands on the lifting jack locations.

It doesn't seem like there's enough exposed metal for the trolley jack and the axle stand to fit at the exposed metal places:

Bandit said the "Torsion Roll bar anchor points", and I said "the what now?", he's probably disowned me as a friend now as he suggested posting here :D

Pictures would probably be best if possible as for the most part I have no idea what the lingo means :rofl2:
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 Axle stand locations

Post by myglaren »

If you are lucky with the height of the axle stands you can raise the car to full height - you should do this in any case, slip the axle stands into the jacking points then let the suspension down and the wheels will lift off the ground as the other end of the car drops.

My axle stands are about 15mm too big for that :(

Hard to describe but find a secure low point on the suspension for the trolley jack and raise the car enough to slip the stands in.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

I can't remember whether it was because I had read about them needing to be on full height, or that it was pure laziness of me thinking since it's up higher I don't have to lift it as high :) either way, I found out soon after that it should be on the highest before lifting.

I'm pretty sure my axle stands don't fit under on max height. They're the ones from lidl that have been recommended on here before.
Thanks though Steve, I'll take a look to see what I can see near the spheres for lifting and will post a picture to confirm it's a safe lifting place :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Get a better (bigger) jack and a jacking beam adapter something like these and you can put it as high as you like and the stands under the jacking points:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Sealey-30 ... 1c510ac3ae

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Ton-Cross-B ... 4d2b667b50
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

I haven't jacked the car up on the drive and put it on axle stands, but using the wheels free beams on my ramp is the same principle (a couple of blocks of wood sit between the car and the beams).

From memory, at the back I went onto the rear sub-frame cross-member and at the front, there was a decent sized flat bit on either side of the front sub-frame (behind the wheels)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)