Xantia TD Radiator Cooling Fans Amp Rating Advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia TD Radiator Cooling Fans Amp Rating Advice

Post by ecohouse1 »

Radiator Fan saga continues. I literally checked all the wiring I can see. Thought I had hit the jackpot last weekend as I removed a 5 point multiplug thats in the circuit from the inner wing and found a badly corroded pin and corresponding female. I by passed this with a "jumper wire" After an initial no fans, both then cut in full tilt again.

Lexia showed nothing amiss
Had bumper off checked fan wiring
Checked & replaced relays
Checked and replaced Biton
Checked & replaced thermistor sensor
Cleaned all connections and earths

Still the fans run and they are now coming on with the glow plugs and staying on regardless of journey length.

Moving to operation "OVERRIDE" and going to fit an adjustable thermistor into the top rad hose which will act as a switch in the earth return to the fans. I disconnected both earths from the inner wings and the fans did not run. As the fans are live all the time and its the earth that the Bitron controls, I thought breaking into the earth circuit was the best policy.

My question is what rating of wiring would I I am thinking of running both fan earths into one wire and routing this through the thermistor switch or a relay depening on the rating of the thermoswitch. I notice the handbook says there is a cooling fan fuse rated at 30 amps and another at 5 amps. Am I right to think that both motors are 30 amps each or 30 amps together?

Anyone know?

Cheers

Alan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia TD Radiator Cooling Fans Amp Rating Advice

Post by CitroJim »

30 amps each at full chat... They are HUNGRY!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Remember that they will pull a heck of a lot more than 30A during startup. If Citroen went with 30A though I'd stick with that, likely a fuse rated that high has enough thermal mass to absorb the initial surge.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Theres a good chart here for working out cable thickness.
If your not sure go a bit bigger, then the fuse will be the fuse still rather than the wire.
Regarding what Zel said a 30A fuse blows at 60A so its right definitely stick with it, Citroen will have done the maths for you there.