xantia 1.9td cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

xantia 1.9td cutting out

Post by quintet »

I have a strange issue with my car & wondered if anyone has come across this before,

In the morning car starts perfectly, i drive approx 100 - 300 meters & the engine dies, it starts up again after a few attempts at cranking it over & its fine for the rest of the day (although it can run a bit unevenly for a while). Park the car up at work for approx' 10 hours, get in - drive home, not a hint of cutting out, come to it next day having being parked up for approx 13 hours & it cuts out again.

To me it feels like fuel starvation, like its running on the fuel in the lines which then runs out. The primer bulb feels solid after its cut out, The fuel filter was only 4 months old but has been changed along with the seal that sits under the filter housing. Yesterday morning the car nearly cut out again but coasting it & gently feathering the throttle kept it going...just! but doing that in rush hour traffic just isnt feasible.

The car has had a dose of redex & is now running on shell's 'good stuff' diesel but it's made 0 difference. Im guessing the fault lies somewhere between the injection pump (bosch) :cry: the injectors & the fuel filter, if i leave it ticking over in the morning it seems to be ok (only tried this once & for a short period) but when fuel is demanded it seems to develop this fault. Quite why the car doesnt do the same fault after having been sat outside work for nearly the same amount of time as its sat outside my home i dont know :? but because it doesnt do this is suspect it is not an air leak especially as it stars perfectly all the time.

A few other bits of info, leaks off pipes are about 2.5yrs old, does not have a key pad, the fault pretty much occurred overnight & has not had any other work done on it recently. The waxstat cable is taught when cold but as the fault occurs after only 2-4 mins of driving i suspect it'll still be taught then. Any advice would be much appreciated as im rather skint & cannot get a few days off work to fix this, i may have to go & speak to my bank manager.... :| .
Last edited by quintet on 02 Aug 2015, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
Music keeps me going.
isisalar
My Cars:

Re: xantia 1.9td cutting out

Post by isisalar »

This sounds like the little white plastic gizmo on the outside of the fuel filter housing, something to do with cold starting. There's an o ring which deteriorates and allows air into the housing. As a temporary fix I used blue tack moulded over and apart from a periodic massage when it failed it kept the old girl going for about a year before the tin worm finally did for her.
If you pump the bulb hard you'll probably see some diesel ouzing out.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

Im definitely going to give that a try, i didnt even know that odd little white 'gizmo' was there till i went to look for it & thats despite having had the housing out only a few days ago, needs a good clean first though as its covered in years of oil & crud, gonna zoom round to halfords (less its inevitable breakdown.....) for some brake cleaner & hopefully something to suitable cover said 'gizmo'...shall report back...probably tomorrow eve :)

Quick update, despite having sat outside my home for longer than normal without being used my car decided today it was going to run perfectly! however i did run the engine at about 2300rpm for about 3 mins before setting off and if it's a temperature related issue...well the weather is pretty warm this afternoon.... however this little white 'gizmo' on the fuel filter is most definitely leaking fuel (witnessed when pumping the primer) and so its been cleaned up & is now covered in blu-tack...fingers crossed for tomorrow morning to see if this cures the fault but clearly this leak needs sorting anyway. One other thing to note...despite the engine now being hot the waxstat cable is still taught & doesnt appear to have moved one bit.
Music keeps me going.
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

quick update on this issue...after having covered the leaky 'cold start gizmo' on the fuel filter housing my car did not cut out the following morning, a new fuel filter housing is on order & will be fitted tomorrow with the result on the issue being posted shortly afterwards (a day or two after testing).
Music keeps me going.
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

This is the same thing that I had with my old 1.9TD and it certainly was the little white plastic thingy on the lower side of the filter housing. The main stealer could only order the housing cap/cover (?) and I found the full housing from another source but it didn't have the top cap or the little plastic plugs. I ended up bypassing the filter housing and used a 8-10mm adapter to join the 10mm pipe to the filter straight to the 8mm pipe from the filter to the diesel pump. I just fitted a clear in-line filter that I changed every few months. This car still has this bodge to this day!! 3 years with it and it runs better than ever (with its new owner) So to bypass the filter is also an option if the new parts ordered don't work out.
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

^ I would say that this is definitely the same fault, i have fitted a new 'filter bowl' (as its known) today but it is yet to be tested in the morning when the fault surfaces, i shall report back tomorrow evening on the fitment of this part.

(would post more info right now but just found out a former colleague has passed away :cry: )
Music keeps me going.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

If you can't get a new filter bowl you could blank-off the white gizmo on the old one with Araldite Rapid. Wash the filter bowl with petrol (to remove the diesel) and then with water and detergent, then cover the offending white gizmo with Araldite Rapid. I ran the Green Lady for over 2 years with the fuel outlet pipe 'welded' with Araldite Rapid back onto the filter housing lid after I snapped it off while replacing the cold-start thermostat. :oops:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

After having fitted & tested the fuel filter housing (aka filter bowl) by basically using my car it is now running normally again & life is back to normal. It was definitely the cold start device that was causing the problem. Just for the record these fuel filter housings are still available from the main dealers & the one i frequent actually had it in stock, the part number on my receipt is p191141 although please do bear in mind this filter housing may not be suitable for all 1.9 diesel engined citroens/peugeots of this age & its not particularly cheap at 90 odd quid (JUST for the bowl, no filter, top cover etc is included although the base seal is) but my car is now sorted & im happy with that :)

Thanks to all that offered advice =D> saved me a fortune as i thought i was looking at having to buy & fit a new fuel pump....which clearly wouldn't have fixed the problem & i would have had to entrust it to someone else to fit it due to lack of free time :!:
Music keeps me going.
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

that part number comes back with

Information about the search

1 document(s) found for BERLINGO VP
1 document(s) found for BERLINGO VU
1 document(s) found for BX
1 document(s) found for C15
1 document(s) found for DISPATCH I & II
2 document(s) found for SYNERGIE
2 document(s) found for XANTIA
1 document(s) found for XANTIA II
1 document(s) found for XM II
1 document(s) found for XSARA
1 document(s) found for ZX

so seems like a standard fit for the XUD thankfully! is probably why it's still available to be fair as it was used across pretty much the entire range!

they swapped to a horrible clip on lid with the DW8 that has a habit of breaking (ask me how i know....) and the primer pump changed too. so chances are anything up to 2000 with an XUD engine will use the same assembly.
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Hmm...need to look at that myself, noticed on Sunday that I can see bubbles in the filter to pump feed, though no starting/running issues as a result yet. Handy that they made that pipe clear, makes fault finding easier!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.