Oil recommendation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Oil recommendation

Post by civvie »

Would appreciate any comments on this oil, price seems reasonable and it looks as if it would be suitable for my 1.6 HDI. and its not that far from me so I can pick it up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5W30-Energy-F ... 3a9d94adbb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Oil recommendation

Post by RichardW »

I would think OK for 1.6 HDi - it's C3 spec, but the only difference appears to be a slightly higher min viscosity, which may reduce economy, but it +ve for engine life. At that price you can afford to change it every 5/6k! 5l of C2 spec oil from my local factors is nearly £30.... Note that 20l will give 5 oil changes, so enough for at least 30k miles - so make sure you've got the use for it! If you run 2 like I do, then it wouldn't be a problem :roll:
Richard W
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Thanks for the reply Richard it was useful. Is there any real difference between C2 and C3, would C2 oil be better for my car? I would have thought a C3 oil would be higher spec then C2, but then things are sometimes not that obvious. I'm just aware of the turbo issues.

Yes we have two cars, daughter has a 205 HDI same engine, and guess who has the job of oil changes etc on her car as well as mine.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Seems like a good 1st stop when looking to buy oil (&similar products, in bulk) as prices for other brands/spec oils are also competitive. Don't assume, however, that these are the best prices, e.g. Falcon 5/30 (which I use in the Caddy - as 10/30's well nigh unobtainable in Europe for sensible money) is over twice what I paid at Gt Western Auto-jumble back in February. Oh - & there are links to other similar suppliers which might, for whatever reason, suit others better.

Main prob. with getting oil like this is decanting, at least the 1st 5 l - if only plastic drums had provision for a tap!

Civvie - how did you get on with collecting your oil? May be only option for me as timing delivery for a day I'd be there to sign for it would be v. difficult - however, I couldn't find an address or, indeed any way of contacting the vendor, other than by placing an order.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Van Or vin?

On the Ebay listing it had the usual seller details down near the bottom, they are Kingsley Auto's at Feltham Middx ( West london near Heathrow) I have used them for various parts etc since I was knee high to a grasshopper.( at least since my first car a Ford zephyr mk1) They also had a branch near Hounslow East train station, think that one has closed down. Anyway the Feltham branch is one I know and it is close enough to try and get a bit of a discount and pick it up without going through ebay or paypal.

Haven't committed yet until i'm sure the oil would be safe to use. No rush. I know I should use the oil that Peugeot say, they would say that wouldn't they, vested interested? They also say use Mitchlin tyres, yeah well I got rid of them when I had to replace them, car still works ok.
Steve

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

"vin" is, of course, pronounced "van" (at least with my tortured French accent) but don't blame me, Citroen started it with their van blanc, van rouge marketing ploy.

Can't be many outfits like Kingsley's about now (when I moved back to London, there were 3 within walking distance - all long gone - so count yourself lucky. Next time I'm in W. London - at a sensible time - I might very well pick up a couple of drums [the Caddy has a 7 litre (sorry, quart) sump (+ filter) & must get through as much again between changes!

All my cars run on Lidl's finest, except when I can find anything cheaper, as long as the spec's right (& not even that in the C15, on the basis it was still better than the Indian ink that was in it when I got it & was going to change it after 1,000 miles anyway - but overestimated the capacity & underestimated the consumption!) that's good enough for me BUT I do try to stick to 3,000 mile oil changes.

"Total" oil - @ £8,9 a litre? I don't think so! Michelins? on the 2CV, yes (but not had to pay full price for any yet), but otherwise I think we of the same school of thought.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Decanting from a large container is easily done using a simple syphon pump - cost a couple of quid and save a lot of trouble.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

It's a thought, at least for the odd pint/litre - I'll look out for one at Great Dorset Steam Fair BUT I would've thought syphoning oil would be slow & tedious, especially any meaningful quantity.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The sort of thing I'm thinking of is about 30mm diameter, and you can assist the syphon action with the pump, so it doesn't take long to move a sumpful.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Never paid much attention to the diameter, but the ones I have in mind certainly look like they're meant to drop into a 20 or 25 litre drum (are they still drums if they're plastic?).
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I use a "Pella" type pump. It's a cheap copy. Stick the inlet tube into the barrel, pump the plastic tank up to pressure and watch the oil flow out of the outlet. I suppose you could pump directly into the sump. I have used it to do an oil change via the dipstick tube when I couldn't get the undertray off to access the sump plug.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Now that's a thought, I've got to change the ATF in the Cherokee once more pressing tasks have been completed [mind you, then it'll be MoT time (x3), then winter, so might well be Spring - & I got the filter & sump gasket last Easter!]
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Or you could look out for a basic old stirrup pump. I use one for pumping out boat bilges. Very rapid one they are primed.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Richard W
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Now I can see a stirrup pump moving ATF - but not so sure about engine oil; still it's athought (then again, if they're the answer - how come the growth industry in budget alternatives?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado