Air in fuel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ade M

Air in fuel

Post by Ade M »

Hello all, picked up a W reg Synergie yesterday knowing there were starting/running issues. Drove back 120 miles Ok & started OK this morning but ran lumpy for around 10 mins & I found that there is air in the fuel line. The guy I bought it off had replaced & repaired many parts including injectors, plugs, leak off pipes, filters, etc. After a quick look this morning & pumping primer fuel began leaking out from what looked like underneath black plastic filter housing so I presume this is where air is being sucked in. My question is do I need to replace housing or is there a fix for this? Any help appreciated, Thank you
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Re: Air in fuel

Post by darbuck »

theres normally a little valve on the bottom of the filter housing for releasing water from the diesel this can sometimes become loose and exhibit the symptoms your describing just make sure its tight.
Darren
Ade M

Post by Ade M »

Thanks for the advice, I presume this is the short piece sticking out the front. Just been out now the rain has subsided & on closer inspection it's leaking from a white/pale yellow cross shaped screw or plug? on the left side of the housing. Can this be tightened/sealed or is a new housing needed? Thanks, Ade
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

it should just tighten if not try removing and see if there is a perished o ring or try installing one it should seal unless the housing is cracked and if so you could remove and repair with epoxy resin failing all of the above replace housing but they tend to be expensive so i would try repairs first.
Darren
Ade M

Post by Ade M »

That's great, thanks. I'd much rather repair than replace complete housing if possible, I'll give it a try tomorrow
Ade M

Post by Ade M »

Not been on for a while, but some super glue seems to have cured the air in fuel through fuel filter housing, also replaced glow plug control unit & starting a lot better. Still seems to struggle uphill/underload so thinking possible EGR valve? plus seems to be leaking slightly from fourth injector, eventually got round to looking at this yesterday as pain to get to on Synergie, injector doesn't look as it's as far in as the other 3, is this normal? removed, checked & cleaned threads, etc. but still sitting the same & still looks wet today, any advice appreciated, thanks, Adrian
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I don't think that one should stick out further.
I'd be making sure it hadn't been replaced with the wrong one and inspecting the copper washer/fire seal for damage.
Is one of the injectors different on your engine as it has a lift sensor? I thought they were meant to go on number 3, maybe they've been mixed up when replaced.
Can't really think why else one would protrude further and I've not owned the same engine so purely thinking out loud..

One of my Xantias had the same leak from the filter housing as yours, I put some blue tack on as a temp repair on the road and forgot about it. It didn't leak again so your superglue should last for years.
Ade M

Post by Ade M »

Lift sensor on number 2, No2 was replaced with a new one & other 3 all refurbed not long before I bought car, did think about removing injector 4 again soon but is a pain & had to remove fuel filter housing & airbox for what is still limited access. I might do it this week & compare to another, maybe 1st injector as it's easiest to get to! & also replace copper washer while it's out, thanks for the help