Clonk from nearside front on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Clonk from nearside front on Xantia

Post by Dommo »

Hi all

I've had a clunk coming from the nearside front of my Xantia for a long long time, I have slowly been replacing everything I can think of, and it still clonks!

The list of things replaced is as follows:

Both wishbone bushes on each side
Lower ball joints both sides
Anti roll bar drop links on both sides
Tie rods (just finished that job earlier today, had been putting that job off for AGES!)
Tie rod ends
Brand new strut tops fitted
Both front wheel bearings

As far as I can tell, the only job I haven't done is the anti roll bar bushes. Any ideas whether that causes a clunking sound?

For the record we found changing the tie rods much easier than anticipated by undoing the lower ball joint and removing the three bolts that hold the wishbones in. You can then pull the wishbones partly out (not fully out because the anti roll bar is in the way!) and that allows you to get stilsons on the tie rods and undo them. You have to turn the steering wheel fully one way then the other to get to both tie rods.

Thanks.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Re: Clonk from nearside front on Xantia

Post by Deanxm »

Not a xantia but my XM suffered a similar thing, some times a deep clunk under high suspension compression on dips in the road and a rattle on rough surfaces turned out to be the inner driveshaft CV, it wasn't worn in the traditional sense but there was a spring in the back of the joint which helps keep the knuckle fully extended in the bore and it was broken, this resulted in the knuckle being fired onto the back of the joint creating a knocking noise as the suspension compresses and tries to shorten the driveshaft length.

It wouldn't reproduce the clunk while stationary, I had to remove the shaft to be able to reproduce the noise which the structure of the car seemed to amplify.

Not saying this is the issue but you are running out of things to check :lol:

D
Last edited by Deanxm on 24 Jul 2015, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Re: Clonk from nearside front on Xantia

Post by Deanxm »

Arb bushes would show by disconnecting both drop links, if the arb is floppy the bushes are shot, if its hard to move they are fine.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............