Can anyone help? C5 HDI X7 Auto gearbox hesitating!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Re: Can anyone help? C5 HDI X7 Auto gearbox hesitating!

Post by Sloppysod »

Hi All,
Things moved along a bit this morning, I went to my local Citroen garage to collect the and level plug seals I had ordered, anyway I then gave the Parts man the task of finding the correct oil, he supplied me with proof from their parts system, which i have uploaded to my One drive
The 1st sheet shows that my car has a BVA AM6C1 gearbox - as I already knew. Link - http://goo.gl/T6gWuJ
The 2nd sheet gives the part number and a note on the Technical Characteristics "Oil specifically for vehicles with AM6 and AM6C gearboxes" Link - hhttp://goo.gl/T6gWuJ
The 3rd sheet gives a price for 3 litres of.........................................£129.85 Link - http://goo.gl/T6gWuJ

The oil is made by Esso and I will try to get their actual specification / type from them.

Just as a note, I think problems may arise when you actually mix AW-1 with JWS 3309 oil, so if after a full rebuild and it has been completely filled with the earlier oil then I would imagine there would not be a problem, from what I have read and understood so far, the type of oil specified may just be down to emissions and MPG (Km/l). the manufactures have to specify parts to keep the car within the limits of the certification and just in case the gearbox is topped up.
The pictures supplied by vborovic are correct, but I do not want to pay £129.85 for something that I expect to be able to pick up for less than £50.
Last edited by Sloppysod on 30 Jun 2016, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Sloppysod wrote:The pictures supplied by vborovic are correct, but I do not want to pay £129.85 for something that I expect to be able to pick up for less than £50.
Keep in mind I'm not from the UK ... :D ... when I was doing the oil change, I found AW-1 oils abroad, but the shipping price would come up to be even more expensive than the used oil from the dealer ... if I manage to get the AW-1 grade oil, I'll probably do the hot flush, just to be on the safe side
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

vborovic wrote: Keep in mind I'm not from the UK ... :D ... when I was doing the oil change, I found AW-1 oils abroad, but the shipping price would come up to be even more expensive than the used oil from the dealer ... if I manage to get the AW-1 grade oil, I'll probably do the hot flush, just to be on the safe side
Yes I understand what you are saying, I had the same price issues when I was looking for my tow-bar wiring, I could get it cheaper in France including shipping, but only by about £10, so I went to a UK dealer for peace of mind. I do not know what the Citroen pricing in Croatia is but I met a guy a car part supplier buying a pair of gear change cables for a C3, Citroen price £109, car parts shop £46 and both were genuine parts, Citroen parts in the UK are so so expensive.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Just had this reply from ExxonMobil Business Support Center Czechia s.r.o.
" I checked specification for your AM6 gearbox and ASW AW-1 is required. It is an Aisin AW specification for 6-speed transmissions used by Fiat, SAAB, Opel/Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroen, and GM. Believed to be a low viscosity fluid. SAAB PN 93165147; GM PN 19256039 (USA) or 19256040 (Canada). Also recommended as a fill for life fluid in AW TF-80SC and SD automatic transmission, such as AWF21, AF40-6, AM6, AW6A-EL and TF-81SC or AF21 transmission. See ATF PN CIT 9980 & ATF PN OPV 147. Visc @ 100 deg C 5.5 cSt, VI >150. Dexron VI cannot be substituted. Also used by Mini for GA6F21WA Aisin, and BMW P/N 83 22 0 402 413 (US) & 83 22 7 542 290.

Unfortunately we have no product to offer. Please use only the original oil from your car manufacturer or Aisin Werner oil.
Technical Help Desk Engineer
ExxonMobil Business Support Center Czechia s.r.o.
"

As the oil on the Citroen parts sheet is an Esso oil this helps but not completely. :cry:
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I've researched this quite well, and the same "issue" (or not?) in terms of AW-1 and JWS3309 being considered the same by some support documents, and by some not really doesn't help (Peugeot, Volvo, all the other brands that use the same AM6 gearbox) ... it seems like no one actually managed to do it right (the Dealer Services at least), but the funny thing is, other members on other forums that I've went through never responded back how the finished the procedure (which exact oil, at what prices, and with what results) ... so, someone here will need to break the ice ... :D
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

AW1 spec oil Found? :-D

Your opinions required please, as I think I have finally found it.

As you may be aware the correct oil for the Aisin Werner - BVA - AM6C1 gearbox is not that easy to find, until now - I hope!! This is AW-1 only.
Can you please read through this oils specification sheets and let me know if I have missed the obvious?

The information is on this site - MPM international (UK) http://goo.gl/qjyVbX

I have not heard of this oil company before so any knowledge is very welcome please

the UK price is about £15.00 per litre.

Thanks in advance
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
craftthirst
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 Estate 2.0 HDI

Post by craftthirst »

@Sloppysod, did this ever get resolved? If so, how?

Sorry new here, and have a 2010 doing the exact same thing as below. Any info would be great.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ken...You are not alone.. #-o
My car is the same....with light throttle pressure, changing up the box is super smooth, actually I have notice with light throttle position it will get into 5th below 40 mph and 6th soon after, but start giving it a little more right foot, and 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th......................................... no 5th and 6th unless you trip it manually into the higher gears, not automatically unless you hang it out until close to the red line, which I really avoid doing, it's diesel after all!!
I have had the software updated but still the problem exists , the dealer explained it away saying the car needed to learn my style of driving as it is an 'adaptive automatic' I believed this as it was mentioned elsewhere on the web, I now think YES the box is adaptive but basically chooses between, a number of modes like gentle, aggressive and somewhere in between and possibly a towing mode somewhere.
I do not know for sure, but old auto boxes you could adjust the 'kick-down' positions, can you do the same with this box?

Sorry for the ramble and not giving you an answer, other than saying you problem is not just your car. Hopefully, someone who knows more will be able to help us both.

Engine - DW10CTED4 FAP TURBO DIESEL
Gearbox - BVA AM6C1
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

craftthirst wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 10:59 @Sloppysod, did this ever get resolved? If so, how?

Sorry new here, and have a 2010 doing the exact same thing as below. Any info would be great.

Thanks.

Yes I did, it was the rolling diameter of the tyres, I put a tape measure around the circumference of the rear tyres and had about 15mm difference. I changed the tyres and never had the problem again. I was lucky my spare was the same as one of those I measured so I could test before spending alot of money.
I think it was down to the car "thinking" it was loosing traction due to the difference in rotational speed, and therefore would not aggrevate the issue by changing gear.
Good luck.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions