2010 C5 III Tourer 1.6HDi gearbox code

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

2010 C5 III Tourer 1.6HDi gearbox code

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

Hi All

I have a 2010 C5 1.6HDi which blew clutch on Saturday night

There was a lot of oil on the floor when the AA man arrived which he initially said was clutch fluid from a probable knackered slave cylinder

He then had a feel and a smell (Bit like a wine tasting really!!) and revised his thoughts to gearbox oil :?

It will be going into the garage tomorrow am, so we can get the box off and have a look, but I am trying to preempt the phonecall that tells me my gearbox has a hole in the end of it,

Does anybody know the gearbox code for one of these?

I know the 1.6 was put into them from some time before this model, but did they use the same 5 speed box or is it a new one for the Mk3

I have also been advised to do a clutch conversion and put a conventional fly wheel and clutch in

Any thought, pro's and con's regarding this. It would appear that I can get a conventional flywheel and a 3 piece clutch kit for around the £200 area, but the DMF version is looking closer to £300

Would appreciate the input at the moment as not certain which way to go with it, got 126K on the clock at the moment and I am looking to double that (It's a Taxi and I do tend to squeeze ever last mile out of them before I replace them, have to really!! :?

Regards

Mike
2010 Citroen C5 1.6HDi VTR Tourer
2005 Renault Laguna 3.0V6 Initiale Tourer
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: 2010 C5 III Tourer 1.6HDi gearbox code

Post by Stickyfinger »

Mike, please post your vin, I will check for you.

|Remember you can register on Citroen Service.....link in the other post
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

Hi

Ok I have registered for the service. citroen site

Put my Vin number in and i think its the BE4R gearbox, not certain of the part number though, still trying to find my way around the site

I believe its the 20DM65 box as shown on ebay, I'll confirm more tomorrow once we get the box out

Thanks for your help StickyFinger
MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

Hi vin number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

No problem....just don't take the price on Cit-Service as the same as ebay :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I get:

2222 JW

NEW MEC GEARBOX
CP 17X71
MARKING DM6E DM65 (DM6E)
link to corresponding invoicing times

2223 PZ

EXCHANGE MEC GEARBOX
CP 17X71
MARKING DM6E DM65 (DMF5) DMF5

Can't see a price from here, but I bet it's :rofl2: :rofl2:

As this is a 16V unit, which is notoroiously frail in other ways, I wouldn't go solid flywheel - in fact I'm not even sure there is a solid conversion for this engine. Chances are, driven with care and respect (don't hold it on the clutch!) it will last 100k+, so should take you up to your 250k target... whether the rest of the engine will get there is anyone's guess...... :lol:
Richard W
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Agree Richard

A DMF flywheel is a good thing on an engine that needs to rev to pull its load, a different story for a 2ltr which has the torque, the 1.6 does not.

As for the engine lasting, it will have a better chance IF it has its sump pick-ups and turbo feed lines cleaned/changed/filter removed. Oil changes at 10k or less otherwise its normally the Turbo that goes. (Your reports of "Sludge like oil" makes it Essential IMHO)

Best of luck.....but there must be a good number of "recovered" 2nd hand units out there, I have seen very few "problems" reported with this box so 2nd hand ones should be OK with an oil/filter change.

Strange to blow a hole in a box with a dropped clutch however.....not common and most unlucky.....just remember those bits are German designs :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Removing the turbo oil filter will prevent turbo failure. Even if it cruds up (it's not really sludge!) it will block the sump strainer, and you will get low oil pressure, but the turbo will survive (and I speak from experience :lol: ). Injector blowby appears to be the cause of the crud issues, so early rectification of any problems here should prevent problems down the line. Lighty posted recently that he had replaced the cam chain on a 170k taxi - which had no blowby or crud issues, so that appears to be the next weak point down the line - but at higher mileages. There are plenty of these engines available 2nd had at not horrendous cost, so even if the cam chain goes, an engine change is probably the most economic repair route. Regardless, regular oil changes (with the proper C2 spec oil) a must.

Ref the gearbox - this is a development of the venerable BE3 box which is essentially bullet proof unless severely abused. I suspect that on this car the DMF as let go in spectacular fashion and bits of the clutch / DMF flayling about have smashed the box - presumably the DMF was giving clues that it wasn't happy before it went bang....
Richard W
MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

Hi Thanks for all the feed back

The clutch seemed to come on quite suddenly to be honest, I got a bit of judder on pull away for about 15-20 or so pull-off's then a noisy thrust bearing when idling and that was the point I decided to head for home.... But didn't make it, while entering a roundabout at low revs and just idling down through the box it let go with a clunk and a whole load of other painful noises as I was going from 4th to 3rd

It was the AA man who spotted the puddle and diagnosed gearbox oil (From a sniff and rub between his fingers!!)

The box extraction started today and will complete in the morning, and I'll let you all know about the state of the box, hopefully It will be ok and the fluid was either clutch fluid or maybe even from a different vehicle (I'm not the first person to shudder to a halt in that particular spot). I also had nothing left on my drive between Saturday and today either so....who knows!

Once this is sorted I think it will be the sump off and replace the turbo pipes etc

Regular Oil changes are already happening and I'll get the injectors checked/tightened etc

Beyond that lots of careful driving (which it gets anyway, and its only me that drives it) and hope it lasts the distance

To be honest it has two choices...Survive and give me minimal grief...or down the road with it and I'll get something else

Thanks

Mike
MikeC5Taxi
My Cars:

Post by MikeC5Taxi »

Hi All

Just to let you all know the box came out today and has a hole through the casing in the direction of the final drive/diff area

Looks like it was the thrust bearing that has let go (based on the fact that we can't find ALL of it!!!)

DMF and clutch seem intact but will be changed anyway

So now hunting for a box. I think its the 20DM65 box, but will need to clarify in the morning, nobody seems to advertise them with the DM6E, DM65 codes so I will have to cross reference them

Any thoughts will be appreciated

Regards

Mike
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

One of the late C5 Mk2's (Facelift) also runs that box..........which WILL be A LOT Cheaper if you can find one

DIESEL TURBO DV6TED4 WITHOUT FAP AND BE4-5L MANUAL GEARBOX AND REAR AXLE HYPOID GEARSET 17 X 71 OR DIESEL TURBO DV6TED4 FAP AND BE4-5L MANUAL GEARBOX AND REAR AXLE HYPOID GEARSET 17 X 71

2223 PZ
EXCHANGE MEC GEARBOX
CP 17X71
MARKING DM6E DM65 (DMF5) DMF5
- AGE >= 2
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Don't forget the same box was used in the Peugeot 407 with the same engine.