My turn for a C5!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: My turn for a C5!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OUCH!!!

I have been involved in a rear end shunt. Fortunately I was the one driven into. Unfortunately it is likely my C5 will be written off.

I play pool on Monday nights (for a pub pool team). We were heading to an away match (a team mate was following in the car behind), travelling along the Queens Road (in Reading), approaching the Watlington Street junction, when an Audi made an illegal U Turn (my dash cam caught it all (but not the audio, as I have it turned off)). We might (as they were now coming towards us) be able to get their registration. The car two ahead of me stopped (you can clearly see the reflection of their brake lights on the damp road surface), followed by the car in front of me. I trod heavily on my brakes (and the EBA was well up to the task), and stopped just short of the car in front. Unfortunately my team mates' car does not have anything like EBA, and so he went into the back of me (his dash cam GPS indicated to him a speed of 10 - 15MPH at point of impact, but within the speed limit during that section of the journey), driving me into the car ahead. Fortunately nobody was hurt, but it is likely my car will be written off (as will my team mates' car; the frame has deformed enough to jam the front passenger door).

My insurance includes a courtesy car, which I will have to use. As he has accepted liability I should not be adversely affected, but we all know how much insurance companies like to take every opportunity to bump up premiums.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 20 Nov 2018, 07:44, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear that James :( Here's hoping it all works out OK...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Sorry to hear that James. If there's any charge for the courtesy car you wish to avoid you're welcome to borrow the Picasso which now has a fresh MOT, fuel and a proper interior mirror.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There should not be any charge, as it is clearly stated on my policy that I am entitled to a car while mine is away for repairs. I will have to check with them.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Well, if you need a lift anywhere today, I'm off work. Got a cold but it's past the contagious stage now I think..
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bad news James. You might need to take Mike up on his offer though, as depending on your policy, you may only get a courtesy car if yours is being repaired, assuming it is not going to be written off. If they write it off, you might not get a loan car.

I recall when my early XM was being repaired in the garage after an incident, I was given a brand-new Renault Clio that only had 500 miles on the clock as a courtesy car ‘W’ reg if I recall.

I got back to work, left to go to another office and en route, going up a very steep Hill an old lady pulled out from the hidden entrance straight into the front of the Clio and bang.

As I was Changing gear at the time my hand was on the gearstick and the impact caused the airbags to go off and I remember this excruciating pain in my left wrist. After the noise of the airbags and ringing in my ears started to ease I could see the car was full of acrid smelling smoke from the airbag explosives and my face was stinging.

When I managed to get out the car the road was covered in green coolant, steam and smoke everywhere and the car was almost pancaked in at the front left wing into the engine where the impact was.

Because I was changing gear the time I was left with a tennis ball size lump on my wrist for weeks afterwards where the gearbox had moved back sharply from the impact, lthough the skin on my face healed over after a week.

No question over blame, The poor lady should really not of been on the road, she just pulled out of her entrance right into the road at speed on a small narrow country road so there was absolutely nothing I could’ve done. I did end up getting some compensation for my injuries via the insurance company but that wasn’t the point, I don’t think she ever drove again. She was shocked more than anything but wa ok after the ambukace checked her over. It’s the first time I’ve written off a courtesy car too! One thing it did do was put me off Renault Clios for life. Really very little protection for passengers especially a lack of crumple protection in the cabin.

Maybe time to start looking for another car, any ideas what you will be having if they do write it off?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

His insurance company have been in touch, and have said (in the text) "We would happily repair your vehicle, and if needed provide you with a similar vehicle to your own for the duration of the repairs. All at no cost to you." OK that does imply that, should mine be written off, I will lose that usage.

I will be making multiple copies of my footage (and I now have his), to give to all relevant parties (and I include the Police). I can't really upload it here, as it is 340MB long (and I have no video editing experience, so I don't know what is a better compression format).

Given the choice, I would go for another C5 similar to mine. The fact that the brake assist did such a good job means I want to keep that level of protection if I can.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 20 Nov 2018, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Michel wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 09:12 Well, if you need a lift anywhere today, I'm off work. Got a cold but it's past the contagious stage now I think..

Thanks, Mike. I currently am OK transport wise, but I may well take you up on that (or the Picasso) if there are any delays in getting a courtesy car (Mum is travelling into Newbury by train today to do her weekly shopping, etc.), as I cannot use the van for any long distances (personal use).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 10:00
Michel wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 09:12 Well, if you need a lift anywhere today, I'm off work. Got a cold but it's past the contagious stage now I think..

Thanks, Mike. I currently am OK transport wise, but I may well take you up on that (or the Picasso) if there are any delays in getting a courtesy car (Mum is travelling into Newbury by train today to do her weekly shopping, etc.), as I cannot use the van for any long distances (personal use).

The weather is a bit s**t, I'll happily run her to Newbury and back to the boat if necessary..
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 09:55 His insurance company have been in touch, and have said (in the text) "We would happily repair your vehicle, and id needed provide you with a similar vehicle to your own for the duration of the repairs. All at no cost to you." OK that does imply that, should mine be written off, I will lose that usage.

It's 10 years since I wrote my MX5 off, but they took it away and gave me a courtesy car while they assessed it. It was obvious to all but the terminally stupid it would be a write-off but they took 10 days to tell me and paid for a courtesy car for that time.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I now have footage from the car that went into the back of me. Now all we need is to see of the Infinity driver had a dash cam (he said he did), and see what more detail we can get.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, Aviva have told me that, due to the age/mileage they are likely to write her off and make an offer. I will accept a fair offer, but not a stupid offer. I don't think that I could repair her for what I have seen similar C5s go for on AutoTrader, Gumtree and e-bay.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Ask them to replace it like for like, or better.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Simple question. Would a facelift C5 (54 reg or so) 2.0HDi have a DPF/fuel additive? I have received a good offer (accepted it), and I am looking to get another C5 estate.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Simple answer -yes.