My turn for a C5!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

My turn for a C5!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, the eagled eyed amongst you might have spotted my signature has changed recently. The reason for this is that during Royal Ascot Gracie decided to misbehave somewhat (not as bad as last year; the central locking in the driver door failed, probably the wiring in the door concertina, but it meant I could not secure her, and she started making new noises from the rear), and I decided that that was enough. I was starting to worry about how much more she would throw at me, and how much it would cost. I traded her in for a different vehicle.

I have now got a C5 VTR estate (2004), and it seems ok (I hope I have a melon, not a lemon!). She has high mileage, but she also has a 2.0l HDi 8V 110HP engine (so that shouldn't be a problem). I think the clutch is on the way out; it is not slipping, but a very long way up the pedal, so I am talking to Savoy Garages about getting this (and a few other things) done. Almost everything works (including ALL of the gauges!), although the a/c has a fractured pipe, which I hope can be spliced, as it heads off from the compressor to the bulkhead, and replacing the whole pipe is probably an engine out job! There is a short length of metal pipe coming off the compressor (the crack is where it secures onto said compressor), and then it changes into a length of rubber pipe (from engine to wing), and then back into metal.

There is an issue with the EGR valve. I would like to get this sorted out. It is intermittent, but DickieG (who found the a/c issue) reckons it has just got clogged up with grime, etc. I would like to clean this up, but I don't know if this is an easy task. I know of various EGR cleaning products, but I don't know how good these are, and DickieG said it is possible to strip the valve down and clean it. Can anybody explain how to do this (and, if possible, provide pictures)?

Oh, by the way, how do you clean yellowed plastic headlights? I have heard (from more than one source) that toothpaste can do a good job!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: My turn for a C5!

Post by myglaren »

Congratulations James (heretic :( ) :mrgreen:

I cleaned my yellowed headlights by buying new ones and binning the old ones after unsuccessfully trying Autosol, toothpaste, jeweller's rouge and any amount of other crap, none of which made the slightest difference.

There are kits available, from Turtle Wax and Autoglym, among others.
I have heard that fine wetordry used wet followed by T-cut is a remedy, never tried that one though.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OK, next question then. How easy is it to replace the headlights? Is the Haynes BoL to be trusted (or to be trusted to get it wrong!)?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Very easy on mine, less so if it is the facelift model.
I dawdled through it in about half an hour - never rush these things and could probably have done it in half the time.

I bought the replacements on eBay - about £35 for the pair.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

She is a Mk1 (although the instrument panel has X4 on it!). My local scrappy said £30 each.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 14 Jul 2015, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

or use the 3M kit which does work.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Bumper off and lights out and in is a walk in the park then James.

I may have something to brighten your day if you are going to Malcolm's funeral.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

2004 was the change year I think, but jamses one won't be a face lift being a 2.0 110. I would try the fine wet and dry then t cut on the lights James. It can't do any harm if your thinking about replacements anyway. I would be tempted to blank the egr valve myself, but some will disagree with it. Hope you get the issues sorted out and it's a good one.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Stickyfinger wrote:or use the 3M kit which does work.
I did find that mine had some lichen-like growth on the inside. Did try removing the lens experimentally from one of the older units but gave up in the end as I was sure to break it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Unless something major happens I WILL attend Malcolms' funeral. As I work weekends, mine are Tuesdays and Wednesdays, which works out nicely.

I have already made a start on the little things. One of the interior trim pieces was missing a fixing screw, the radio stalk was faulty (touch the volume control and it went straight to maximum), one headlight had a small piece of wood holding a bulb in place! (the wire clip was missing, as was the bulb cover), the wheel jack was knackered, and the cover for the LDS/brake fluid reservoirs was missing. Got all of the bits for £25, and now that is them sorted.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 15 Jul 2015, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:how do you clean yellowed plastic headlights
I've successfully removed yellowing from a plastic headlight lens using finer & finer W & D (2000 grade to finish), followed by Solvol Autosol and then toothepaste.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Bumper off is very easy on c5s too.. no more awkward bolts....

Theres two bolts at the bottom of the arch liners were it meets the bumper bottom edge.
Theres two more at the upper corner edges in the arch where the edges meet the wing.
Three along the bottom are twist "pegs" in that they twist quarter turn and drop out
The grill is attached to the bumper and theres two torx screws at each end and the inner ones are dummy gromets each side of the bonnet catch. .
The bumper then well pulls forward and falls off..

Headlights have 3 bolts holding them in.

This job has just been done today by my landlord.. who just swapped his misty lamps for clear ones.

Noted changes.. original mk.1 cars had the bonnet release on the drivers side on all models.
When rear wiper was added to saloons and vtr and vtr+ trims were added the bonnet release lever was left on passdnger side.. 16" Vtr alloys were first offered on Exclusive models while on early first phase cars.

C5s are actually good cars james. I was the first to dislike them but now after having a hdi 2.0 8v auto one i love them and got a hdi 2.0 8v manual exclusive on loan.. i actually like them very much!

Wait till you need to do pipe work! Its sòooooòoooooooo much simpler and theres no seals to put in.

Pipes are unique to c5 and not xantia compatible except for last few years on xantia sx and lx models.

Common issues.. rear drivers door locks can jam meaning the door cant be opened from inside. Possible to fix with the door shut. Key: dont use child lock on them.
Blower resisters.. also easy to change
Heater flaps can play up..
Rear arm bearings seem to be weak and like BX need replacment.. wear easyilly.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

My c5 had the yellow headlights too i found the cheap whitening toothpaste out of aldi does a good job took about an hour of hard rubbin g and washing they're grand now.
Darren
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, I have got one problem fixed, only for another one to pop up.

In the past (prior to my ownership) somebody had broken the rear windscreen. OK, it happens. The rear windscreen was replaced. Unfortunately the idiot who did this then (for reasons best known to themselves) GLUED the large nut in place, and in doing so got glue onto the wiper spindle! This meant that the rear wiper didn't work (OK, it was missing the arm, but that isn't the point). I had to borrow a metal cutter to get the ***king nut off!

I have now replaced the rear wiper bits (on the glass), getting the parts of a Peugeot 407 estate (anybody doing this needs to be aware that the hasp on the 407 is longer than for the C5, but it can be undone and swapped over). Now the rear wiper works, but the rear windscreen won't open. I think this is due to the switch. However, to replace the switch I need to get the weird large plastic bit on the outside of the windscreen (as the switch is built into this), but I was quoted £30 plus VAT from Peugeot!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OK, I am making some progress, but then something new says "Boo!". I bit the bullet and bought the release switch housing (£36:95, inc. VAT). Getting the glass to open was tricky, but I carefully cut off the switch and stripped back the wires (thereby finding the problem, one of them was blackened through moisture damage, suggesting the switch had the same issue). However, I then found that, when the rear windscreen had been fitted, it wasn't correctly aligned (and the wiper blade would foul the rear brake light spoiler assembly). I have managed to almost completely solve this, but it still scratches the spoiler. I am not sure if I still have room to adjust any further.

Would it be possible for somebody with a similar C5 estate (2004 MK1) to measure the rear wiper assembly for me? It would help me find out if the arm/wiper I got is slightly too long (possible; it was bought through e-bay). Ideally could it be done when the wiper is in its' rest position, from the tip to the opposite side of the central assembly? Thanks.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+