Problem locking Synergie via key?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PugLover

Problem locking Synergie via key?

Post by PugLover »

Hi everyone

Sorry to be logging into the news of Citronut. He personally commented on my threads and he will be very sadly missed. :cry:

I lost my key and fob for my citroen synergie (lost all my keys actually). I only have two spares. Small spares.

Now, I've managed to unlock it - I can't actually lock it now. The car WILL start but I really do want to lock it.

If you turn the keys to the left in the barrel it spins around - Is that normal?
How do you lock it usually?

To unlock it I somehow went to the right until no further then left to unlock it - weird.

I've contacted those I bought it off last September (they locked and unlocked via the key) and they can't remember.
I repaired the fob when I bought it so have been using the fob.

Now I've lost the main key and fob, I really do need to lock it but I don't know how.

Can someone please advise me? I've tried to open a door, lock manually with the whatsits on the door card but to no avail - they won't go down.

Thanks in advance
Citroen Synergie - 1.9 DT XUD9 TE lump (8 seater, daily driver)
Peugeot 406 ~ 2.0 Petrol estate (Sold in 2014, Missed every day.)
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re: Problem locking Synergie via key?

Post by Richard_C »

I share the Citronut sadness. He leaves a permanent digital legacy in all of the advice given here.

I have just been out to my Synergie with the plain key. Like you say, if put it in and turn and does nothing.

There is a spring detente. Put key in to its natural position, don't turn. Press again firmly and the whole lock springs in a few mm, then turn.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

PugLover wrote:If you turn the keys to the left in the barrel it spins around - Is that normal?
Unsure with Synergie, but the lock spinning freely on a Xantia generally means the lock is worn. If my Xantia key doesn't turn in the lock, then I try turning the key a few degrees the "wrong" way and then back again, and it usually then locks/unlocks as required. What happens on the other front door? I've switched the locks over, as obviously using the key to lock/unlock wears the lock over a period of time
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

Thank you for the advice!
I've tried until the cows come home and I just can't get it to lock now!

I've ordered a barrel off ebay and will change that one door lock, purely for the CL to work!
I think I will have to use the original small key to start it though?

Do you have any good advice for changing the lock, I'm a bit worried it'll be difficult :oops:
Citroen Synergie - 1.9 DT XUD9 TE lump (8 seater, daily driver)
Peugeot 406 ~ 2.0 Petrol estate (Sold in 2014, Missed every day.)
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

To remove the Xantia lock, I just removed the lock using the information in Haynes. First time, I removed the door card, but that didn't help & proved to be waste of time.

Open the door, and there's a small black rubber grommet "at the rear edge of the door". "Prise out the grommet from access hole" and insert key into lock. Then "insert long screwdriver through the access hole, and depress the lock cylinder retaining clip". Pull the lock cylinder from the outside of the door handle by using the key in the lock. I've managed with both 1 & 2 pairs of hands

Much easier once you've done it the once. Unfortunately you have to work blind with the screwdriver, but having a replacement lock, you'll have a pretty good idea where to aim the end of the screwdriver. One of those hit & miss jobs where you struggle & curse, go and have a Perciwotsit (touch your forelock to Malcom), return to the job and it comes out no bother when you least expect it (I hope - good luck).
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
djoptix
My Cars: On road: Grand Espace 3.5 V6 (waft), Megane Coupé F4R (vroom), Bertie the Berlingo (Mrs Optix's).
In field: 1989/G BX 16v, 1988/F BX 16v
Historic: C5s, Synergies, AX 1.5d, Renault 4, 406 (of Satan) and a 106 (of Satan).

Post by djoptix »

I'm a bit hazy on this because it was a while ago that I was inside a Synergie door, but I believe you will need to remove the door card, which means taking off various interior handles and speaker surround bits with a Torx screwdriver.

However, once you're in, I'm pretty sure that the Synergie's door handles and their backplates will come out as one piece with lock barrel attached - hopefully meaning you can fit the new lock barrel nice and easily, then reinstall the handle.