Alarm false alarms - cured

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Alarm false alarms - cured

Post by Robin »

Just to let you all know that the fault on my 97 Xantia, (see earlier posting) which I love to bits incidentally, was a faulty Ultrasonic unit in the doors. I went through all the checks from door switches to inspecting the brain under the seat and found nought.
The local dealer has sold a fair number of the ultrasonic units lately so it looks like their life span is about five years.
They can be replaced with careful easing of the door panel near the mirror and the mirror panel easing off without having to take off the whole door interior.
Best wishes and long live the Xantia. [:D]
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Hello Robin
Did you say that you had disconnected the Ultrasonics with the switch on the dash and that it had no effect, but changeing the door units had cured your fault.
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Hello,
How much were these fine items? I assume these are dealer parts only??
Thanks,
simon.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hi, I tried disabling the ultrasonics at first with the dash switch but that did not initially help. I then went round all the door switches and cleaned them up to ensure a good ground contact. That then cleared the fault with the interior disabled. I also checked under the passenger side carpet where the brain is for damp etc. and found all clean and dry. You have to take the passenger seat out for this bit. Other postings advised this as apparently the screen is known to leak and this where the water ends up[:(].
I then changed the the ultrasonic units and hey presto all seems well again. The car has stood in the recent gales and overnight plus the changing temperatures and I am happy.
The ultrasonic units are £23 a pair, only packed as pairs and yes Simon Citroen bits. Mind you not too expensive for the security and reassurance cos my insurers insist on them being functional.
Good motoring, R.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I suspect these ultrasonic bits may be found as cheap parts in a RadioShack or Maplin outfit - but it reqiures you have electronics knwowledge - to deduct the type & spec's of the ultrasonic bits.
But then again - the higher cost at your dealer assures you get the right bit first off for the purpose (usually [:)])
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if you just unplug the sensors at the connectors behind the door panels this should determine if they are faulty or not,dont rely on the disable button on the dash (although it sometimes works this way)