Possible steering leak.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lex Andrews
My Cars:

Possible steering leak.

Post by Lex Andrews »

I'm starting to get really annoyed with the C5 at the minute. Annual holiday to France and the following happened:

CV retaining ring snapped. Replacement, clean etc. €232.
A/C lost all it's fluid after 2mths in 33+ degree heat.
Fluid loss from rear of drivers subframe.
Obissmal fuel consumption 32.4mpg over 3,173 miles.

The A/C and the fluid loss are the main problems now. The fluid was noticed on the way back from Paris. I could smell warm oil and we were due a stop so I checked. Fluid was dripping from the rear part of the drivers subframe. Concerned but just hoped it would get us back and book into my local garage for inspection. I've not had chance to get it booked in yet as I'm just finishing my first week off work since holiday and I've not seen the car for 3 days this week.

Noticed yesterday that the fluid leak appears to be getting worse. It looks to be coming from the drive shaft/steering rack area at the back of the engine between the two heat shields. It's a light orange colour, so after a bit of research I'm thinking LDS leak.
I've checked the level of the LDS in the tank both yesterday and today. There's nothing in the tank going by the markings in the LDS filler neck. I gather this isn't normal. Nothing was pointed out when Citroen in Perpignan did the work on the CV boot.

I've read that it could be possible Power steering pipe seal or Steering rack seal.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem? If so what are the possible costs likely to be incurred? What is the success rate after the work has been done?
For a change, I didn't touch it! It was already broken.

2008 Citroen C5 X7 2.2Hdi Exclusive Tourer.
1999 Peugeot 206 1.4 GLX 3dr.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Possible steering leak.

Post by DickieG »

To check the LDS level put the suspension on low, allow it to settle and you should just see the fluid appearing through the filter basket in the filler neck.

The LDS leak could be coming from the Hydractive block which is at the back of the engine just behind the gearbox.

Likewise I had a CV gator ring detach recently.

Your fuel consumption appears very low, I'm averaging 44 mpg out of mine.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Possible steering leak.

Post by qprdude »

Averaging 42mpg over 1200 miles last couple of weeks, mostly motorway but lot of A roads too. Two passengers and probably around 60 Kg luggage,
Just had my A/C condenser replaced as all gas gone. Cost £520 at main dealer but done under warranty. Suspect less than £400 elsewhere.
Had CV retainer replaced two years ago, and split gaitor replaced this year.
No LDS fluid shows at the filler filter on mine. Been serviced three times and always the same. Seems to work fine. Damp patch at nearside but just MOT'd and no mention of leak.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.