C5 Mk1 Suspension Pump: Change Motor/Register New Pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikevybiral

C5 Mk1 Suspension Pump: Change Motor/Register New Pump

Post by mikevybiral »

C5 Mk1 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Pal's been troubled with 40A fuses blowing. Tried cleaning commutator, brushes, carrier a couple of times but problem remains and confidence in the car is at a low ebb.
A second hand matching motor/pump/controller assembly has been purchased ...
1. Can the motor be separated from the pump and swapped with the defective one? If so how?
2. Otherwise, what is involved in registering the 'new' motor/pump/controller with the main ecu? (Assuming a straight swap won't work without reconfiguring the ECU).
TIA.
Mike
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C5 Mk1 Suspension Pump: Change Motor/Register New Pump

Post by wheeler »

Theres only a few items that need programing in the BHI, from memory it just needs to know if it is hydractive 3 or 3+, whether it has xenon headlamps or not & if it has variable power steering or not (variable power steering is only fitted to V6 models).
If the car that you taken the BHI from has the same spec as yours then you don't need to program anything.
Don't know about just swapping the motor over as I have never tried it. the good thing is you have a knackered one to practise with.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ive heard someone do this and they just swapped it over... its a motor pump at the end of the day doesnt need any programming at all..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've been back through my earlier posts on this, here's a copy and paste of what I wrote then:

To separate the motor from the pump pull the motor body off the armature, (there's a strong magnetic force holding it) take out the three screws in the flange and you'll find that pulling the armature away you can just see the flexible joint that holds the two together, wedge a thin screwdriver through the joint and simply unscrew the armature off, it's only hand tight.

To test the motor on the bench you need to connect the two heavy wires, (the bottom one is positive) and touch the third small connector with positive wire, clamp it in the vice because if it works it will jump off the bench

I've been told since that the positive wire is 12 volt and the small connector should only need 5 volts but I'm not sure which is true, 12 volts didn't harm the one I was doing at the time nor a couple of others I've done since.

You don't have to do anything with the control units it's just a straight swap. You will have to bleed the system, all that requires is to have the top tank pressurised to about half a bar (7lbs ish) you can do that with a bicycle pump and a made up adapter, engine running and turn the steering lock to lock a few times.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mikevybiral

Post by mikevybiral »

Belated thanks to all.
Mike