Faulty Parts from Ebay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Faulty Parts from Ebay

Post by ecohouse1 »

What would be your call on this.

Bought a Fahren Ball Joint off Fleabay in Feb 2015 and after 4k miles and 4 months is totally fecked - masses of play - horrendous rattle and loose feeling in the steering. Removed it and you can easily feel the play in the joint. Replaced it and all good again.

Anyway - contact the seller advising of the issues ask for a refund or how I get my postage paid if I send it back, and get this response :evil:

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately as this part has been used we can not accept this back.

Kind Regards

Katie

Surely the parts must be fit for purpose and be expected to last longer than 4 months! BTW it was installed using the correct tool and the boot was undamaged. I suspect a nasty copy part from the east. It was only £8 but its the principal.

I have replied asking if there is a guarantee on the part and my reason for return is that it is faulty not that its incorrect.

Cheers
Alan
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Faulty Parts from Ebay

Post by vborovic »

I always thought you buy used parts AS IS and that there is no warranty over it, Unless specifically declared (ex. reseller refurbished, or similar statements), and the sellers themselves provide a 30-day, 6-month or whatever return option ...
The Ace
My Cars: Citroen C5 1.6THP Prestige
Ford Fiesta 1.0Ecoboost Titanium

Post by The Ace »

Obviously, unless SPECIFICALLY stated, a used part (for a bike or for an airplane, makes no difference) comes with no guarantee. And of course, no one can assure you about the amount of time/miles a used part will last, as it is sold "as is" (like vborovic says).

I'm afraid you have no case, it's up to the seller whether he wants to be a nice guy/gal and give you a -I suspect very minor- refund....
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I think (but I am not certain) that the OP will have bought the part new, but now it has failed (four months down the line) the seller is saying that, as the part has been used, they are not able to offer any help.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 10 Jul 2015, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've had the odd piece of junk from Fleabay, on the whole I am still way ahead of buying everything locally and over the counter.

If the failure could be construed as dangerous, then you have surely the fundamental basis for a civil claim.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

ecohouse1 wrote:Unfortunately as this part has been used we can not accept this back.
Maybe my mistake in interpretation, since this could be taken that the part was actually used before the purchase (2nd hand) or it was new, but they don't want to accept returns since you've used it ... if the latter is in question, it would be interesting to see the original item listing (or any current ones for the similar items from that seller, to read the Terms & Conditions regarding the money back, returns etc.)
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Sorry, I was maybe not very clear. The part was bought split new in a box, branded Fahren. I fitted it with the correct tool and the boot was undamaged in the fitting process. 4 months and 4k miles later it is like it has been on the car for 60k miles. Loose and rattly. I was actually suspecting everything BUT the ball joint as it was so new!! Turns out it was that failing - and had actually gone probably around 3k miles as it was rattling after 3k miles.

Have replaced it with a Delphi joint from my factor. Funnily enough I checked the the sellers site for vehicle compatibility and its saying it doesn't fit the Xantia TD - but does Pug 406 and C5.Maybe I did make the mistake - its fits perfectly and was identical to the one I took out?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390974035457? ... 26_rdc%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wierd

Anyway I just got a reply saying they don't have one in stock that fits............mmmmmmmmmmm
ecohouse1
Deceased
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Call my cynical, but since complaining the 1.9 TD Xantia compatibility appears to have "dropped" off the list of cars even though the 406 TD 1.9 is on and the XM diesels. That's a coincidence! :shock:

AFAIK all Xantia Ball Joints are the same?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

You could get your money back as long as you make a good argument that you are competent to install the ball joint.
Just look in your eBay history and open a dispute, you have 12months from purchase. You'll win but the seller will block you, assuming you haven't already blocked them.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

having bought Cheap ball joints in the past and them not lasting 4 months, i have to say, i am not surprised by the sellers response,
i didnt listen to the voices of Much wisdom on ere and bought both cheap ball joints and arm bushes, for the mot in Jan last year, my car does around 1500 miles a year in a busy year! after 4 months of use both the arm bushes and ball joints were totally shot, some of this is due to my improvised drop curb on the driveway and some down to enthusiastic driving, i replaced them with Lemformer and bilstein bushes and ball joints and over a year later they are fine!

i know it goes against all the get your money back etc. etc. but sometimes in cases like this its best to suck it up and accept that they were not the parts to go for, i now only look for the better options on parts and go for longevity over price! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

I never understand why people bother getting replacement parts from Ebay? Almost everyone (in the UK) has a reputable parts supplier near to them.
ecohouse1 your in Aberdeen,you have a Euro cars parts there,and a GSF in Glasgow. All these guys can supply OE quality Citroen/Peugeot parts over the counter,no waiting,no postage, you get the correct part and its fully guaranteed.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I order everything from Ebay or Mr Auto. I buy Febi/Bilstein or Lemforder. I get cheaper than ECP and that is to the door.

I ain't spending time and money standing at counters. I have already had a lifetime of that at building depots :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

My initial thought is for £8 you've had your moneys worth.

But from a legal perspective, at less than six months I believe it is up to the seller to prove the part wasn't faulty.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

@ £8.00 ?

a good education normally costs more
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
ecohouse1
Deceased
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Succesful resolution. The seller kindly refunded the full amount without asking for return of the faulty part. Unbelievably the part was £6.93 which if you allow for postal charges and the sellers markup must have meant that the part was a couple of quid. I reckon they work on the basis of a certain percentage of complaints from customers. I agree that there is local availability of parts. I got a Delphi joint from my factor for £10. Interestingly an identical Delphi one is on line for £8.50 inc delivery. The ECP here has horrendous wait times as it appears that majority of people there are complaining or querying an incorrect / faulty part that they ordered online. As I live in the country and not really near a factor in normal opening hours online works for me and most of the parts I have received are good enough quality at a big saving on the local prices eg exhausts for my merc from germany at less than half local prices (fitted years ago and still going strong) The ball joint and a couple of tools have been let me down - including some recent pry bars that look like they would snap opening a jiffy bag. Live and learn!

On saying that I generally plan the job, order parts in advance, and if I get into bother and need other stuff I call on the local guys.

On the plus side, as the joints fail so regularly they never rust in and I have got to being able to change them with the windy gun and an extractor in around 30 minutes! :-D

I think there is merit in local factors matching some online prices and offering free local delivery same day for orders say over £50 received before 1pm. That would be a big plus and maybe get customers away from ebay? Just a thought.....