xm timing belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drkstuart
My Cars:

xm timing belt

Post by drkstuart »

i want to change the timing belts on a 2.5 turbo diesel myself.does anyone know the torque settings for the belt tensioners?the haynes manual isn't much help as it gives the settings as either 'n' or 's e e m' whatever they are.
derek
Mickh
My Cars:

Post by Mickh »

I don't know about the diesel engine on the XM, but on the petrol 2.0 the Haynes manual says that a Citroen service tool is required to correctly tention the cam belt, but I have spoken to two Garages that have changed these belts on XM's and they say they just use the spring pressure on the tentioning wheel. I'm about to change the cam belt on my XM and will use this method. This is the same method as doing cam belts on the BX and 1.9 ZXTD which I have changed before.
Unless anybody knows different
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Derek - AFAIK the 2.5 layout is similar to my own 2.1TD. If so, the belt tension is taken care of by the automatic roller. The mechanics of fitting a replacement belt is very similar to my previous BX 1.7TD. with the exception of not being able to reach the flywheel hole with a 6mm rod because of the size of the starter motor. The problem was overcome by marking the crank with a white paint spot. The 'seem' measurement is the reading given on an electronic tensioning tool.