Interior color replacement Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Niikoolaaa
New User

Interior color replacement Xantia

Post by Niikoolaaa »

Hi guys, i'm new on forum. I have one problem. I'm going to replace all green interior light to red and blue. Is there a way to change the color of the plastic ashtrays and Climate, because they have glued green plastic. I' will buy t5 red diode but i think that i'm not going to get clear red light on ashtray and climate :( :( any help?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Interior color replacement Xantia

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and welcome to the forum (I can see you have been here since April, but this is your first post). :welc: Other than this, I cannot offer any advise.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Interior color replacement Xantia

Post by Zelandeth »

I've always preferred red for dash lighting as well (amber is acceptable as well, as seen on 80s Nissans), and did a complete red LED conversion on a Lada Niva many years ago.

Blue in my book is a complete no-no. The only car I've ever seen a colour scheme involving blue actually working was the late 90s/early 00s VWs.

The Xantia does present a few challenges - if I remember right the rear of the instrument panel faces is solid green plastic as well (I stand to be corrected there as I've never actually had one apart) which would also make injecting red light difficult. If that's the case your best bet there if you really want to go ahead with that might be to front-light the dash faces.

The heater controls are a problem. I don't think the green plastic separates from the face, the one solution you might be able to get to work (get a scrap one to work on!) would be to file away the green plastic from the back until you either get rid of it entirely or get a thin enough layer that you can get the light you want through it.

It's a task I was pondering doing on my first Saab, but eventually lost interest for exactly the sort of reasons you're encountering here! Most of the light to the heater and lighting controls there is via green coloured light pipes, and I decided the engineering a replacement for that was just too much of a headache.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.