Gushing LHM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

Gushing LHM

Post by ohms69 »

Hi all,
After giving the BX it's weekly checks I decided to try the up/down gymnastics routine in the hope that this may help dislodage and crud, and generally give the system a good workout. Anyway, the car had been up and down about 7 times, and then on it's 8th trip to ground level it spewed LHM out of the reservoir. There was a hell of a lot came out and I am alittle bit puzzled by this. Why didn't it overflow on the first trip ground level?
Is this a sign of impending failure?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Seems to me like you could have just burst a sphere and the escaping gas has pushed the oil out.
Or you didn't wait long enough at the low setting before raising again each time on the previous lowerings to allow the spheres to fully discharge, in which case the system was overfilled to begin with, but my dosh is on a sphere going pop.
Dave
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

The car still drives superbly and in fact seemed to handle a little bit better after the incident.
How could I tell if a spehre had in fact failed?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Do a few more citaerobics but let the suspension stay low for a couple of minutes each time before lifting it again, this should allow trapped gas (if any) to get out.
Then set at normal height and test each corner of the car for blown spheres by pressing down on it, if its still soft and springy at all corners the suspension spheres would seem to be ok.
Go to the accumulator and test for stored pressure by opening the pressure release screw and listening for the tell tale sound of escaping oil, this will make a distinctive hissing sound for a couple of seconds.
If no sound and regulator tick is frequent, suspect the acc. sphere.
If that pans out ok then you probably just had too much LHM in the tank to start with.
Dave
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Dave,
It's just had a new accumulator sphere so that should be OK. It sounds likely that it could've been overfilled...Unfortunately the LHM level indicator doesn't work, it's constantly above the line no matter what height the suspension is set at.
How can I tell that the LHM level is correct without the marker?
Thanks again mate
Bryn
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Bryn -
To test the reservoir level with a stuck float - then simply set the car to lowest - and release the pressure as Dave mentions.
This will force most possible LHM fluid to return to the reservoir.
Remove reservoir lid and gauge the depth down to the fluid - should be approx 30-40mm under top edge of reservoir can - easy to judge with a finger.
As long as the fluid level is not just under the edge - you should not get spillage - but some free air must of course be allowed.
I suspect the float is in fact working - but the fluid level simply keeps it pressed against the top position.
It may WELL be a good idea to cover the ground under the reservoir area with papers and rags - before you do the test - in case you overdid any topping up [8)]
PS : You can not harm the system by overfilling. It's just a gushing mess if you do [:I]