Xantia's, bad reputation revisited

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Obviously as cars get older bits wear out/dry out/rust away and need replacing. Citroëns have more bits, namely in its hydraulic system which are in place of metal bolt on stuff other cars have. I think it's the hydraulics which make the Xantias seem so 'unreliable' as there are so many little bits of it which can go wrong due to age which wouldn't affect a non Citroën and can therefore be difficult to diagnose. In short you're probably gonna have more on your plate with a Xantia than you are with an equivalent age Mondeo.
The Xantia, by its nature has more potential to go wrong than a Mondeo but in reality is probably no less reliable statistically.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Cant honestly say I have had any more problems with my Xantia than any other car I have ever owned, certainly a hell of a lot less than a Rover 216 GSi I once had (owner for 14 weeeks, spent 11 weeks at the dealers being fixed).
My ZX had some small niggles, though at nearly 170000 miles that was to be expected, my last Ford died with less than 50000 miles on the clock.
Tom said it, Citroen owners doo need to know a bit more, but thats in main from being "ripped off" by garages who will say "ahh, its a Citroen, the parts are expensive, its complex to work on etc etc" when in reality its probably no more difficult to work on than your average Mundaneo or Vectran.
I dont fel they are any less reliable so long as they are serviced propperly and correctly, everything else is just "consumables" - All i have done to my Xant is recharge the air con and change the spheres - not really unreliable stuff.
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

In general my Citroens have been more reliable than other cars I have had (with the honorable exception of the Morris Minor which just went on and on and the GS which got hit while stationary on 4 separate occasions within 2 months!). Most of the problems I have had have been with the suspension and I would much rather deal with that sort of thing on a Citroen than anything else on anything else. It usually requires more thought but less grunt.
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

This should help us all positively glow in self-satisfaction:
"COMMENTS: A very pretty and exceptionally spacious car and has been gradually, but noticeably improved: Estate version is really excellent. Citroens best range to date. Brilliant all rounder, spacious, stylish with great ride quality courtesy of Hydractive Suspension. Good road handling. Seats are not brilliant, the steering lacks feel and gear change is bad. "
The above is quoted from www.checkthatcar.com which gives the Xantia (AND ZX) 4 out of 5 * which is identical to,among others,the Ford Mondeo ,Honda Accord,Mercedes Benz C class and is one star more than the BMW 3 series Compact gets!
I know it`s only another opinion ,but one which I turn to in moments of deep despair ,and covered in LHM,just to remind me of how good a car it really is:)
macs

Post by macs »

I’m not a regular contributor, but this subject is fascinating. There are two Xantia’s in the family, both 1994. An early 1.9D and an anti-sink TD. The 1.9D we have had for five years and in that time we have changed the spheres all round, cured a leak from the diesel pump solenoid, replaced the LHM pump with a recon unit and replaced the exhaust system (my fault, it was touching the rear anti-roll bar, a common fault on this model I am told). The worst problem was some kind of short-circuit under the dashboard, which blew several fuses, stopped the CL working, did some funny things to the radio and ran the battery down overnight. Three glow plugs were replaced with old ones off the TD, one is still duff! The parts cost £420 including a new windscreen, which cracked when the car was left on the jack overnight. Not bad I think for five years use! Oh the car gets washed about twice a year and serviced once a year. Otherwise it is start and go----every time!!! The mileage? 120K
The TD we have had for three and a half years, bought for too much money at the auction (£1300). Very dirty and smelly. Cleaned up beautifully! No rust. Changed all five spheres including the accumulator twice, some from GSF (good service and price!), the heater matrix (also GSF), four glow plugs and the fuel pipes from the priming bulb to the filter, to the pump and the return from the pump to a union just behind the engine. Had a bad fuel leak from the top of the Bosch fuel pump which I cured by replacing some “O” rings – they cost £32 for about 10 “O” rings! From Bosch and was quoted £2500 for a new pump!!!! About £260 in parts. Mileage 145K. Always starts, but misses (white smoke) for two or three seconds – cannot find the fault! Running costs such as tyres, engine oil, wipers etc are extra to the costs above, but the LHM fluid, 5L for each car is included.
All in all not a bad record. The only “Citroen thing” are the spheres (and pump), but changing spheres is probably easier and cheaper than shock absorbers!
BUT both the cars (hatchbacks) have a problem with water leaks! In the rear nearside footwell, under the rear seat (nearside) and in the boot. I think it is a common source. Does anyone have any idea where the water is coming from? It is not the light unit and I don’t think it is the boot lid and too much comes in to be condensation! Any ideas please let me know!!!
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Macs, do your leaky Xantias have sun roofs ? Common problem with sun roofs when the drains block up is water ingress that can collect in foot wells. I've seen people tape up the sunroofs in desperation - but this is futile - the sun roof is designed to allow water through and collect it in channels which then drain to the front and rear. Had this problem on my BX and eventually tracked down the drain tubes and gently reverse flushed them (first with air blower - to clear out the decaying vegitation). Been no trouble since.
macs

Post by macs »

jack, tried that! Blew compressed air down the front tubes and up the rear one. Could only find one at the rear on the nearside; didn't seem to be blocked and made no difference. I also noticed that if you slam a door shut the sunroof lifts slightly with the air pressure so I assume that this also should clear the tubes regularly.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

In the 3 yrs/38k i`ve had the car,its only needed a tow home twice.Once was my own fault when i put a hole in the rad(dont ask!)the other was when we were off on holiday with the caravan.The thermostat housing broke where the top hose goes onto.Old age looking at it.Got towed home,had it fixed first thing the following morning & went on holiday again.Other than that,its been 100% ok.Yes,i`ve had some problems,but then i`ve had that with all my other cars.The Xantia is the car i`ve had the longest,so thats got to mean something.[:)]
stevieboy1
My Cars:

Post by stevieboy1 »

I've had my xantia 18 months, it had done 140K miles when i got it. Its now done 160K. I've changed the cam belt(didn't know when it was last done so for 10 quid it ain't worth it breaking). I've done the spheres which were easy, clutch cable and clip when the clip broke(i think it still the orginal clutch), a anti roll bar joint and i hydraulic pipe. It passes it's MOT first time every time and i dont do anything before i go. I leave it for weeks and just get in it and it goes. Its very comfy and i would go anywhere in it. I also have a range rover but can't get myself to sell the xantia as its so nice, easy, quick reliable to drive.
I think its a great car and very cheap as well what more could you want?
PS i like stuff a bit different to every body else, how many other cars can you get out of do the shopping in as i have to do the citarobics in!!!
reg
My Cars:

Post by reg »

I have had my 1997 1.9 TD SX with 142500 on the clock, for just over a year now, and the only problems have been the dreaded clutch cable clip, which I had a mate fix, and the height correction link on the back suspension, which was a piece of p**s!
Other than that its been fine. It runs well and is pretty cheap to run compared to my old BX.
But I must admit, I am always slighly paranoid about the clutch cable clip. I am always half expecting it to break when I get it and back off the drive way. The clutch doesnt feel particularly heavy though, and its certainly lighter than the 405 I had before the Xantia!
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Xantia's are well designed and put together. My 180k one drives like new no creaks or rattles as it has a full service history. We have had 15k of comfortable trouble free miles in the last 8 months. This says to me that a properly maintained Xantia is relyable. And for £320 I'm a very very happy bunny.
After the last ten years of Alfa Romeo ownership (one mellows with age) Xantia ownership is is different world in terms of relyability.
On a different note I hear people saying that the 16v ZX's are fast and handle well. I have news for these people, I drove a chipped volcane over the weekend and sorry guys compared to an <b>8v</b> 1.7 Alfa 33 it is so Sloooooooooooooooooow over 50 and handles like a tug boat. I used the 8v 33 variant instead of a 16ver to level the playing field a bit. If you guy's wanty cheap speed buy an Alfa 33 mk2 1,7 8V and discover the meaning of sporty handling. With the close ratio box you will enjoy the acceleration between 40 and 90 as the ZX doesn't have any there. It may top out at 120(130 for the 16ver) but who drives at this speed anyway!
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Guess they need that speed to outrun the rust......