earth point on the gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dei9
My Cars:

earth point on the gearbox

Post by dei9 »

Hello, What exactly do I need to remove to see the earth point on the gearbox on my auto hdi xsara? I took the battery and it's holder and the airbox out the other day and found nothing? Is it better accessed from underneath or from the top? any other earths that aren't too inaccessible that I can check?

Thanks.
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: earth point on the gearbox

Post by Xantidote »

No knowledge of the Xsara, but can you not trace the earth lead , starting from the battery end, or does it just disappear?

I'm assuming this is linked to your electrical problems, as per your other thread, so definitely worth the check you're doing. As an alternative option, you maybe could fit another cable from the battery, to some point on the gearbox that you can get to, and see if that sorts the problem. I've done this on my Xantia, fixing the large eye of the extra lead on to the thread of a projecting starter motor bolt which was the easiest to get at. Did this not out of necessity, but seemed like a good belt and braces idea, as electrical connections can slowly deteriorate with age. The gearbox earth is what carries the negative load when you operate the starter, so is a vital part of the circuitry.

Many years ago, a friend had an oldish 405, and that started giving electrical gremlins after a clutch change. Turned out that either they'd not reconnected the gearbox earth lead, or they'd not tightened it up - I forget which :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If there is one on the auto box it should be on the top, no evidence of one in the manual so may be on the engine not the box. The manual gearbox earth is definitely on the top.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
dei9
My Cars:

Post by dei9 »

Tracing it back it seems to go into a loom of other cables and it hard to trace back. I'm expecting to find a bunch of cables bolted to some large metal connection to the gearbox. It seems easy but no luck as yet. Pretty sure a lot of my problem relate to it. When I find it I shall let you all know for future reference.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto