The final indignity

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

The final indignity

Post by mbunting »

Remember that thread a while ago, saying that cars detect your mood, and adjust thier reliability accordingly ?
Well, today is potentially the last day of the Xantia being my main car ( may be getting a M****o at auction tonight ).
For some time now, there has been an occasional starting problem - probably about 1/10 times, where the starter doesn't turn over fast enough ( the battery is of unknown age - at least two years ).
Because of my positioning on the drive, I couldn't bump it down the drive to start it, so the other half has had to get the bus ( she'll be an hour late ), and I need to wait to get the battery charged. I have a stinking cold, so I will "work from home" today, before going to the auction tonight ( assuming the bugger will let me get there !).
Anyone want to buy a Xantia TD ( seriously )? There'll be an honest add going up in the next two weeks.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Anyone want to buy a Xantia TD <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not a bloody chance. Got enough trouble with the one I've got.[:(!]
On the bright side, it looks like I've finally found someone who wants my 2.0 petrol one - one nasty job that I won't have to do, and the car's in absolutely no position to whinge about it[}:)][:D].
One down, one to go, one to get. Distinct lack of HDis for sale around here at the moment...[V]
Stu.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

To top it all, I missed out on the mondeo, and going home the accelerator cable snapped at the pedal end...
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

The Xantia bites back... Revenge, pure and simple!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

the battery is of unknown age - at least two years <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Have you had it tested?
Or at least take some of the money you were going to spend on a Mundano and spend it on a decent powered battery.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

The xantia's lifespan can be measured in days, so I'm not going to be spending any money on it. My multimeter read something like 12.54 volts when it was 'flat' and out of the car. This figure was decreasing by 0.01 each second.
Once the car has started, and has been run, there are no further problems, for example, it was fine the next day !
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Matt - I think you'll be seriously unimpressed with a Mondeo TD after a Xantia TD. They're noisy, gutless and a hell of lot more problematic in the engine department. They chew front tyres and wishbones for fun because the engines are so heavy. They are also a pain to service as the oil filter is in awkward location.
Could you not run to an early 406 TD? I think you'd be a lot happier with it. High mileage ones in good nick can now be had for around a grand at auction.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

If you do look at a Mondeo, check that the sump drain plug isn't rounded off (they all do that , Sir. can require a new sump) and that the clutch has no signs of wearing out. It's a big job to do it on them involving dropping the front sub frame. Often this gets put back wrong so the car steers to the left most of the time. They're a bit slow as well, a mate has a TD, my sister has a 1.6 petrol - the petrol one seems a nicer car and running costs / performance are similar.
You'll get a car with a different set of problems than you've already got if you get the Frod. They certainly aren't trouble free. At least with the Xantia, you've got access to this board for assistance, don't underestimate the value of that.
Everybody *thinks* they can fix a Mondeo so they'll give it a go with varying degrees of success - prepare to discover and have to remedy a lot of bodged work!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I must admit, I am looking at 405's, they are fetching accessible prices now, even the Mk2 Air-con ones.
I appreciate getting another car could be "out of the frying pan, into the fire", but I would hope to use my experiences of PSA cars to examine 405's etc..
Basically, my priorities are:
1) Comfort - I'm 6'5
2) Reliability - I can't afford to fix things every week.
3) Economy - diesel preferable, although the Xantia only gets 40mpg, and I recon I could easily get this out of a Rover 214 injection.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

405s have exactly the same engines that Xantias do, so there is no difference in economy there and probably very little different in reliability too.
405s (and most other cars) use hyrdoscopic brake fluid, that means rusted up bleed nipples and possibly calipers too... Xantias aren't bad cars.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Have a look at http://www.fordmondeo.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php - they have problems too. I was half considering a Mondeo when I was looking around for a large estate and was disappointed at the finish even on the Ghia models - the attention to detail just wasn't there.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Have a look at http://www.fordmondeo.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php - they have problems too. I was half considering a Mondeo when I was looking around for a large estate and was disappointed at the finish even on the Ghia models - the attention to detail just wasn't there.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

dave-uk,
Been there, and looked at the various bits, and I know that no car is perfect !
I really have struggled to get above 43mpg in the xantia, my dad had an N reg one with aircon, and consistently managed to get 50mpg, and we (now) have similar driving styles.
I have also thought about other psa engined cars, such as the Rover x18's.
I think the xantia's main problems for fuel economy are weight, and the fact that the pump is constantly being turned by the engine ( I have heard rumours about crank / cams shearing due to the inconsistent load ).
On a more positive note, acknowledging that the end is nigh, I put some Bars Leaks in the coolant, and it's stopped the severe coolant leak I had. The only trouble is now, there is practically bugger all heat coming from the matrix ( although the hoses are warm ).
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I would recomend a ZX 1.9D but at 6'5 inch you would prob have to stick your head out of the sun roof. lol.. I am about 5'10 ish, got loads of room. :-) even with the seat on max height..
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I really have struggled to get above 43mpg in the xantia<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think it all depends on the type of journey you do. My own car manages 47-50mpg (consistent for the last 12000 miles!) on my 50 mile, cross country commute. I don't spare the accelerator pedal either - I overtake a LOT! As soon as I take it onto a motorway and boot it up to "proper" speeds though, the whole picture changes. Did a 350 mile run over Christmas, and returned a rotten 39mpg. From what others on this board say, that seems to be typical behaviour for a TD.
Stu.