Xantia door handle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ozrkr
My Cars:

Xantia door handle

Post by ozrkr »

I needed to remove the external RH front door handle on my 2000 Xantia, to work on the lock barrel. That all went OK, until I came to reinstall the handle... The part of the handle into which the latch activator rod fastens broke, leaving the handle useless.

So I bought a new one on ebay, and set about to install it today, with the perhaps predictable outcome... the same part of the handle - ie where the latch activation rod (not the lock activation rod) fastens - broke again! arghgh!

Has anyone done this installation successfully??

I would appreciate advice as to whether to install the activation rod in its croc clip before installing the handle (which is what I've been doing), or to install the handle with the rod attached, and hope to get the rod into the croc clip during the installation of the handle. Does that query make sense??

I have found (having now wrecked 2 handles) that the leverage placed on that part of the handle during the installation process is just too much for the plastic to bear... Any even mild manipulation of the handle/rod is enough to crack the handle plastic.

Any advice would be much appreciated - I don't want to wreck a third handle. (This cost of this supposedly easy project is rapidly approaching the value of the car!)

Kim
2000 Xantia, 186,000 Km
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia door handle

Post by citroenxm »

ALWAYS put it in the handle first then side clip it into the door lock!

Ive tons of door handles here.. would gladly send you some if postage is reasonable enough.

Are you in europe or uk?
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Australia mate
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The lock barrel is removable without even taking off the door trim. You push in the release tab through a hole in the side of the door (after removing the small rubber plug), and ease out the barrel.
ozrkr
My Cars:

Post by ozrkr »

citroenxm wrote:ALWAYS put it in the handle first then side clip it into the door lock!

Ive tons of door handles here.. would gladly send you some if postage is reasonable enough.

Are you in europe or uk?
Hi Citroenxm,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm in Australia - about as far away from you as possible! I will try the installation process again, as per your suggestion. Thanks again!

Kim
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Addo will be closer, but I am not sure how much closer he is!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
ozrkr
My Cars:

Post by ozrkr »

A quick update - I actually repaired the new handle I bought (and broke!) - araldite and steel wire to the rescue!

I then reinstalled the repaired handle - without breaking it again!

Citroenxm is dead right. If you install both the latch activator rod and the lock activator rod onto their respective holes on the handle and then install the combined unit in the door, it all works AOK. Once you get into the mind of the design engineer, it's quite a simple process, really.

Kim