Xantia failed smoke test

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Re: Xantia failed smoke test

Post by SwissSPEC »

I've been playing around with the pump alot recently, i think a diagnosis has been found ;) This creates black smoke as its overfueling in order to produce more power. Gently wind it back in until the smoke is reduced.
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

HI All

just to let you know I passed the MOT with flying colours :-D .

Putting in the Liquimoly fuel injector etc was a waste of money. Didnt really improve smoke noticeably.

However, as suggested, I loosened the "full-load adjustment screw", and lo and behold- clean as a whistle. Did keep stalling with the aircon on in low revs on the way to the test, but came out with a 0.5 m-1 opacity as compared with 11.71m-1 at the first test!! Round the corner I returned the screw to its original position- power returned :rofl2:

So thanks as ever for all your excellent advice! Another year to go

Cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

as compared with 11.71m-1 at the first test!! Round the corner I returned the screw to its original position- power returned
So back to polluting the air that I breath and the ground I live on with Chemicals and Particulates.....I would not call that a good result and may I suggest as politely as possible that you get it correctly set so you stop poisoning me and the planet.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Dont worry, the rest of the year I put in mostly veggie oil, just cant do that for the MOT- it doesnt smoke on veggie oil

What do you run yours on? :chin:
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Why can't you run it on veg for the MOT?
mad_at_french_cars
Locked user account

Post by mad_at_french_cars »

myglaren wrote:Why can't you run it on veg for the MOT?
No reason at all.
TURDS!
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Turn the wastegate aswell. Minimal smoke from mine now and it shifts
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
blingosilveraway
My Cars: 2.0 hdi blingo 2004/5

Post by blingosilveraway »

removing air filter on a hdi might not be a good idea as something might get sucked in and ruin the turbo!

if i was going to do this i'd try and put some kind of mesh screen over end of air intake.. needs to be fixed well as this things suck like a dyson!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

blingosilveraway wrote:removing air filter on a hdi might not be a good idea as something might get sucked in and ruin the turbo!
Removing an air filter on any engine is never a good idea - ever!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Stickyfinger wrote:
as compared with 11.71m-1 at the first test!! Round the corner I returned the screw to its original position- power returned
So back to polluting the air that I breath and the ground I live on with Chemicals and Particulates.....I would not call that a good result and may I suggest as politely as possible that you get it correctly set so you stop poisoning me and the planet.
No offence intended, but why run a 3 litre V6 petrol Xant', in addition to two other cars, if you're overly concerned with the environment? Every car pollutes, even electric powered ones. I'm afraid it's just the nature of the beast and, in general, the more power an engine makes the more it will pollute. Also the amount of emissions an older vehicle (even an overtuned one) produces is still overtaken by the pollution caused in the making of a brand new, "environmentally friendly" vehicle. :?

If the environment was our only concern we'd all be on foot or pushbiking longer journeys but as we're on a car-based forum here I think it's reasonably safe to say most if not all of us derive some sort of pleasure from the driving of cars and the planet, by necessity, takes a back seat to enjoyment of our hobby especially when it comes to increasing the output of an engine. This could also be said of a lot of other hobbies, and it's also possible that some of us actively seek to offset the pollution caused by our hobby in other ways.

As I said, no offence intended by my opinion but I do feel your comments were a bit on the harsh side considering where they were posted. After all, the extra emissions from this one car are a mere drop in the ocean compared to say, badly maintained vehicles and coal fired power plants in other countries.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Sorry, but you really shouldn't be running the car in a state where it produces such high levels of exhaust emissions, and doing it deliberately. If it's ok for you to do this (for pleasure) then presumably it's also ok for any and everyone else to do the same - which it obviously isn't.

You do have the option of having the fuel system set up so that these excessive levels of pollution do not happen, while still getting good power output. It sounds as if you have made a mess of the settings, and gone to an unnecessary extreme, and are not concerned about it.

I have a Bosch injection system on ours too.
It's a 2.5TD, book output 130bhp, but chipped to 170ish.
It just went through its Spanish ITV test yesterday.
Smoke opacity: 0.18m-1.

Sorry, but that's the way to do it.
Last edited by white exec on 27 Nov 2016, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

No offence taken here.~

I have no problems running a V6 petrol, a 2ltr TD a 998cc Petrol and a 3 ltr -6 (when will I do that car !) as I am regulated by the MoT tests, they all pass with room to spare.

They are minimum standards IMHO.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have an old-school 1.9TD XUD powered Xantia. This engine dates from the early 80s and although it stinks like a paraffin lamp on initial cold start on a frosty morning I have yet to see even a hint of a puff of smoke out of it...

An HDi in my experience behaves in the same way. If it smokes there is something badly wrong...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...