BSI and Non PSA CanBus Parking Sensors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Re: BSI and Non PSA CanBus Parking Sensors

Post by Sloppysod »

Back to fitting the OEM front parking sensors to my car.

My car is an 2011 Exclusive and I have had a rummage around in the boot and on the wiring diagrams for cars with & without OEM sensors. My findings are:
Question 1
1, My car has a white 18 pin socket in the boot in unused in near the 'current' parking sensor module.
2, My car has a large socket near on the inside of the bumper, which I believe to be a connection point for the front sensor loom on the bumper.
With these two features am I right in believing the looms, front to rear, are also likely to be complete?
Question 2
My current Parking module is a 6590 CV (or 6590 CW), however, I think I need a 6590 CZ (or EA) but how does, that 4 digit number link to the long part numbers on the actual parts such as BOSCH 0263004203 and do I have to fit the manufacturers unit? am I missing something on the Service box?
Question 3
The set up for the front harness has space measurement, do I have to include this in the installation or can it be retro fitted at a later date, basically do I have to fit that switch or should it, as I think it should, work without?

Your comments are welcome please, this upgrade is going to cast around £200 to complete (2nd hand parts) so I need to be very sure it will work.
Thank you
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

The white 18-pin connector seems to be the one that connects the front 6 parking sensors to the parking CU in the boot ... where is its other end, that you'll have to figure out, the schematics aren't that detailed ... visually, the rear only parking sensors ECU should have only 2 sockets, not 3 ... the space measurement won't work without the dash switch, since you have to first press it, then trigger the turn light to the side which you want to measure, and then it will do its magic ... if everything is wired in place and configured correctly that is ... 200 GBP is a walk in the park for me ... :D ... I only start sweating with 4 figure numbers ... :D
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I have two Front & Rear parking ECU' , one is a Citroen and teh other is a Peugeot 407 are they the same, they both have the same part numbers on the casings.
BOSCH - 0263004203 9663821780 (Citroen part 6590 CZ, and Peugeot 6590 GK)

Tried to upload photos but no luck.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Both these come up as Park Distance Control units. They should both be the same.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

6590 CZ is for parking sensors + camera, 6590 GK is for sensors only.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The camera doesn't have anything to do with the parking ECU, it is connected directly to the eMyWay unit, it has to have additional hardware to grab the image (mine for example doesn't) ...
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I am trying to fit OEM front parking sensors t my 2011 C5 Exclusive, I must add cheaply and have a little problem understanding what is going on.

The control ECU I hope to fit is from a Peugeot 407, it has the same part numbers as the Citroen one, so I am assuming they are the same - Wrongly?
I fitted the unit today and tried to configure it using the diagbox, the first thing I done was to run a full diagnostic sweep. I have not yet been able to get hold of 4 sensor yet that would be cheaper than the £85 (each) for the genuine Citroen.
I though I could set the ECU up so just the rears would work, then when I get the sensors, 'turn' the fronts on in the config menu - Wrongly?
The other thing that happened was that when I selected reverse, the rear sensors did not work.
This is what happened.
1/ After the full sweep it came up with 4 errors on the 'Parking aide' ECU, the errors were that the 4 front sensors are missing - obvious.
1/ My car is configured as have 'Rear' only sensors, so why would it be looking for the fronts and tell me that they are not present.
2/ If it knows that the front sensors missing and not working does it disable the whole system?
3/ Or, as the rear did not work have I got a faulty ECU?

Diagbox
Configuration, When I first went into the manual Configuration of the ECU, it said that my car was Rear only with a Manual/Piloted gearbox, was this possibly left from the ECU's previous installation? I changed it to automatic without a problem.
When I go into the 'Repair' menu, I do not see the option for 'Replacement Part' should i?

Any comments anyone and any tips on I adding this 2nd hand ECU?
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Sloppysod wrote:1/ After the full sweep it came up with 4 errors on the 'Parking aide' ECU, the errors were that the 4 front sensors are missing - obvious.
1/ My car is configured as have 'Rear' only sensors, so why would it be looking for the fronts and tell me that they are not present.
2/ If it knows that the front sensors missing and not working does it disable the whole system?
3/ Or, as the rear did not work have I got a faulty ECU?
You've probably obtained a F+R parking sensors' ECU (we've already discussed that they're not the same, there are two variants available - rear only ECU and rear+front ECU)
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

vborovic wrote:You've probably obtained a F+R parking sensors' ECU (we've already discussed that they're not the same, there are two variants available - rear only ECU and rear+front ECU)
Thanks for your reply, but....... Yes I did buy a Front & Rear as that was the intention so I could fit the front sensors, but what I do not understand is, why would it look for front sensors and display a fault when the car is only configured for Rear sensors and why the rears did not work!.

I will try again, but I am hoping for some information to help guide me, being a newbie at this.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that when you configure the "car" for rear sensors only, you are only configuring the display panel. The controller knows that its mission is always front and rear sensors...
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Where exactly did you configure that the car only has rear sensors? Off the top of my head, at least 3 locations come to my mind (the BSI, the radio/nav unit and the parking sensors ECU)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As VB says - that is likely why it's throwing a wobbly - regardless of the BSI coding, as you have a 10 sensor ECU (4 Rear, 4 front and 2 parking Gap on front wings). I don't think you can have front parking assistance without the Gap Measurement option, so would think there are only the 2 ECU types. Unfortunately with this system, if any of the proximity sensors are not working, it usually throws errors up for the whole system - so this could be your red herring Stu.

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

vborovic wrote:Where exactly did you configure that the car only has rear sensors? Off the top of my head, at least 3 locations come to my mind (the BSI, the radio/nav unit and the parking sensors ECU)
I configured the 'car' in the Parking aid ECU, that is where I found the gearbox issue, (manual not auto) and am am very sure it was the BSI, as for radio/nav unit - no navigation or big screen, my car is an entry level exclusive.
GiveMeABreak wrote:As VB says - that is likely why it's throwing a wobbly - regardless of the BSI coding, as you have a 10 sensor ECU (4 Rear, 4 front and 2 parking Gap on front wings). I don't think you can have front parking assistance without the Gap Measurement option, so would think there are only the 2 ECU types.
I can't check again now but I am 99% sure the options were Rear only, Front & Rear, Front and rear with front gap measurement and Front and rear with front & rear gap measurement.
GiveMeABreak wrote: Unfortunately with this system, if any of the proximity sensors are not working, it usually throws errors up for the whole system - so this could be your red herring
if that is true then that is where the problem is showing, 1 part wrong it all wrong!
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sounds right - just one thing though re the parameters - there's no rear gap measurement fro the C5, just the front.

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Yep, and due to the hassle I have had so far, mine will not have it for while if at all. I had it on my C4 and used it about 1/2 dozen times in the 3 years I had the car, only a toy really.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions