Xantia handbrake adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Re: Xantia handbrake adjustment

Post by old-un77 »

So, do the self adjusters operate from movement of the brake pedal? or the operation of the handbrake cables...
I seem to recall maybe from a Renault 14? that the handbrake NEEDS some travel, for there to be enough operation of the adjusters, too little and they wont self adjust?

Bob

edit just noticed the heading............Xantia..........I am referring to a Xsara Picasso
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

old-un77 wrote:So, do the self adjusters operate from movement of the brake pedal? or the operation of the handbrake cables...
I seem to recall maybe from a Renault 14? that the handbrake NEEDS some travel, for there to be enough operation of the adjusters, too little and they wont self adjust?

Bob

edit just noticed the heading............Xantia..........I am referring to a Xsara Picasso
think the xsara has a traditional handbrake arrangement so they adjust from the lever, even the disc ones. the best thing to do is get the auto adjusters wound with the handbrake on one click so that the shoes are just starting to drag. if its the disc rear brakes then loading the rear and using the brake should bring the pads to the right spot, usually needs little adjustment
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

I've just had the car serviced and as one of the rear (drum brakes) cylinders was wet under the dust cover he changed both cylinders, commenting that the self adjuster didn't appear to be working.
since the previous service( done by a different garage) the handbrake only needed two clicks to be full on............was wondering if there needed to be some slack to allow the self adjusters to operate..........
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Stickyfinger wrote:With mine (done after seals/disk/pad change), I took off the cable ends off the caliper arms, pressed twice, backed off the cable adjusters all the way and cleaned the threads, then adjusted the cables to the correct amount (just loose) on the arms.
Ooops, don't remember including handbrake adjustment in the Brakes wiki. :oops:

[EDIT] I did but only in passing - now corrected.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)