Pump Tick & Hydroactive hard/soft Mode....Partial success

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Pump Tick & Hydroactive hard/soft Mode....Partial succes

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yep....but like you, I could not find the info, so I gave up, kicked a chicken (well thought about it) and just started to take the bloody lot off instead................then had dinner and a drink, there are more enjoyable things to do on a bank holiday

One step forward two problems back.........
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Two Quick questions,

Assume one off the HA valves has failed, for this, assume it is the rear one. Assume the Active electrovalve is OK.

If one of the Hydroactive valves fails, would that cause the pump to cycle at a fast rate ? and would that still allow both ends to be OK switching between hard and soft modes ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Think of the valve as just a valve, nothing more than that. It can still open and close but it's worn so that pressure leaks past the body (internally) and out the rubber return hose. The click you hear is the pin moving which is only an electromagnet at work, that has no relation to the internal condition.

The easiest way to see which is the culprit is to pop the return hose off and put a bit of aquarium hose onto the valve. (Make sure you bung up the now free end of the return hose) Then run the car, as Mike says you should only see LHM spurt when the valve changes state, if you see a steady flow (which there will be somewhere to create the high internal leakage you're seeing) then you know that's the badboy that must be replaced.

Don't forget the doseur can also cause this, again, follow the return pipes back to the tank, pop them off and with the car running you shouldn't see any LHM come out unless the brakes are used.

A stream of LHM when the car is runnning is a bad sign from any component (that's not the power steering or regulator return)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Regarding the Elctrovalves, is it possible to see/test if a spare is working before you put in on the car ?, working as in the shunt and the flow seals springs etc
I have what looks like a good one off the V6 but would like to check before putting it on but cannot test it (and didn't think that far ahead before stripping it.

Would this Sphere fit :)

And today, the C5 decides to sit down and not get up......it just gets better and better.......time break out the lexia
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Stickyfinger wrote:And today, the C5 decides to sit down and not get up......it just gets better and better.......time break out the lexia
Or hammer, or dynamite, we could order a job lot, that'll sort out my DS at the same time :twisted:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Stickyfinger wrote:Two Quick questions,

Assume one off the HA valves has failed, for this, assume it is the rear one. Assume the Active electrovalve is OK.

If one of the Hydroactive valves fails, would that cause the pump to cycle at a fast rate ? and would that still allow both ends to be OK switching between hard and soft modes ?
The electro valves are compound valves. That is to say that the electrical solenoid controls a little internal valve that applies control pressure to open or close the main valve. This is why the electro valve requires a drain port. When they go leaky, it is the small internal valve that is not sealing properly, this often makes the operation of the main valve unreliable, but not always.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

DickieG wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:And today, the C5 decides to sit down and not get up......it just gets better and better.......time break out the lexia
Or hammer, or dynamite, we could order a job lot, that'll sort out my DS at the same time :twisted:
Recovery to Hartwells Bath (and they are rubbish) tomorrow
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

xantia_v6 wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:Two Quick questions,

The electro valves are compound valves. That is to say that the electrical solenoid controls a little internal valve that applies control pressure to open or close the main valve. This is why the electro valve requires a drain port. When they go leaky, it is the small internal valve that is not sealing properly, this often makes the operation of the main valve unreliable, but not always.
LOL ??...I am thick today.

Does that mean that if one fails it makes the pump tick faster then ?
I thought when they fail they default to hard mode , my car switches at both ends between modes so I am confused here.
....or
can they still switch modes and still leak sufficiently to cause a 6 sec cycle on the pump ?

Sorry
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The typical failure mode is that some of the pressure from the small internal valve leaks directly to the return path. This leakage flow effectively drains the main accumulator, which loses pressure and is replenished by the regulator cutting in much sooner than it would without the leakage.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

OK cheers, so an "open leak" fail then.....will delve into it after the C5x7 has been "dealt with"....now to go up the hill and borrow a shotgun
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider