Temperature Gauge not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Temperature Gauge not working

Post by Taffyrhys »

Hi all, I have a Citroen Xsara 2.0hdi (Y reg )but last week the temperature gauge stopped working but I have done 400 miles since it packed up and no problems.

I ordered a new temperature gauge and fitted it today and it still doesn't work, the water is clean and the radiator get hot so the water system is pumping around the engine but i'm stumped why its not working.

Any ideas ????????????????? of why the gauge isn't working

Also how do you check and test if the cooling fans work as im worried that if the gauge isn't working the fans wont come on

Any help appreciated
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Temperature Gauge not working

Post by myglaren »

Was it the gauge or the sender you replaced? - problem more likely to be the sender than the gauge although the connection to the sender could be corroded and need cleaning or there could be a break in the wiring.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Several years ago I dealt with a Xsara HDi that had a similar problem to yours, the fault was caused by the connection wire chafing somewhere near the sender unit, sorry I can't be more specific, old-timers!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

I will cut the wires back and see how we go :wink: , also how do you check if the cooling fans work? should these be able to move by hand.

Keep you updated how i progress, cheers again
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Check the sender unit is working before you chop up the loom
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Most cars have separate sensors for the gauge and fans. The one that does the fans is usually on the radiator. You can check the function of the fans by unplugging the wire from the sensor on the radiator and bridging the connector with a paperclip or similar. The fans should turn on if you do so, but the temp gauge should remain on zero.
You're gauge sensor looks like this if googles been honest http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/73292-Facet-C ... 1454387030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It will be near your thermostat.
I'd check the connectors to it first which may fix it. If no joy I tend to bridge the connector wires to earth, doing so will cause the gauge to read Max if the sensors died or to stay at min if the wire is damaged.
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

Should of gone to the beer festival in Royston but sometimes the car comes first :lol:

I have tested the new temperature sensor in its housing while the engine was running and even though it was not at the operAating temp is had a resistance of 800ohms , i then tested the old sensor in a cup of hot water and it was reading roughly the same, so i believe the sensor is ok. I also cut back the protective cover back to the main loop and there are no damaged wires. I also notice that the temperature gauge did move slightly for a split second and then dropped back so a bit stumped.

I also used a papper clip to bridge the the 2 pin connector but the gauge didn't move?

Any other ideas? does this sensor operate the cooling fans? i

I also checked the cooling fan which was siezed and must have blew the 50amp maxi fuse in the engine fuse box, i susepct its been like this since i got the car 6months and 120000 miles ago but the temperature gauge never indicated a problem, though the summer months may have been a different issue. I will have to order a new fan and resistors as these are not working also.

Any helppppppppp appreciated?????
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

Just an update on the situation,

Replaced the cooling fan as the old one was siezed and blew the 50amp fuse, this is working now as when i removed the temperature sensor plug it came on full power.

I replaced the temperature sensor and left the car running but it got very hot but the fan didn't start up.?????????? Any ideas

I checked the brown and grey cooling resistors with the multi meter and they were't registering any ohms, so 2 new ones on order.

The temperature gauge still isn't working so i will take the dash out and see if there is a loose wire????????????

Also the 3 relays for the coooling fans were tested and heard clicking, but only one plug had a 12v constant feed, should the other 2 also have a 12 v constant feed?????????? Are these from the same fuse?

Any one have a wiring diagram for this ph2 citroen xsara hatchback.

I would prefer to do a clutch instead of electrics!!!!! :rofl2: