What to do with my Xantia :-(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dei9
My Cars:

What to do with my Xantia :-(

Post by dei9 »

Hi, you ALL know how much I love my Xantia ('s). But I might need to sell her. I want to know how well they hold their value these days? I paid £415 for mine, it's a silver V reg HDi 110 Exclsuive, and it's a good car. It a beasty workhorse. But it does need droplinks, new spheres, bottom arm, and very likely new sills to pass the MOT in December, also it needs a new Hydractive II ECU (still comtemplating doing the homemade computer from an Arduino, but there are of course insurance issues when it's a success, and hydractive II ECU's are few and far between), So can I be bothered with all that, maybe, I also have enough money for a new car (budget of 800). So... do I fix her up and give her a new lease of life, or put her down (in the most humane way). Another thing is the flywheel rattles when the clutch it disengaged in neutral (the rattling stops when the clutch is depressed), does this mean the dual mass flywheel is on it's way out? Also the suspension (or something related) squeaks in general when it's dry I think, are these the strut tops?

If anyone want to make any offers for it while I have it please go ahead. I'd rather not scrap it if someone want to make an offer (above scrap value I hope). Either way, I may opt for either a C5 or even a C4 (a nice Xsara II might not go amiss either). Keeping my eye out for a V6 though. As much as I fancy an Activa I am not sure I would buy one as they are a bit more expensive than the V6 (had a V6, also had the 2.0CT in an XM). I've even seen a 206 GTi (137bhp... really?). Thats might be nice.

I just want ideas from you guys if thats ok.

Thanks, Dei
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: What to do with my Xantia :-(

Post by elma »

Sounds like if you spent your 800 on the xantia it'd be sorted.
I don't think you'll get something with less work to do on your budget.
Better the devil you know I reckon.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

No its not flywheel dei.. they are a proper normal solid fly wheel.. you worrying about nothing.. the rattle is the clutch release bearing!!!

You be best spending on the xantia.. leave xsaras.. they are not made like xantias..

C4s are good and appear to have a good record.. dual zone heaters can be a pita.. but generally..good.

We loved our hdi.. she went from 156k to 289k and is still going..uses no oil or water. Oil changed every 12.5k..

If i were you id spend on the xantia.

New cills??? Why?? Is it the inners at the back behind the cill lip?? Check inside the rear arc's and make sure the cill inspection hole grommet is inplace..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's my opinion threads of this sort are posted after the OP has already decided they want to change cars.

Why dress it in faux "logic"? If someone wants a change, that's their prerogative.
dei9
My Cars:

Re:

Post by dei9 »

addo wrote:It's my opinion threads of this sort are posted after the OP has already decided they want to change cars.

Why dress it in faux "logic"? If someone wants a change, that's their prerogative.
Not necessarily. I just want to hear some ideas and opinions. I've had 7 Citroens all together so I'm all for it if it makes sense. I would like another V6, but can't find one anywhere.
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

dei9 Sounds like a lot of car for what you paid ... only you know if she's worth keeping depending on what you've already spent and what she NEEDS rather than WANTS ... or is it :luv: heart V :twisted: head dilema

Are there any countries still producing a 'Citroen' AX 1.4 diesel ... loved that old shed till a tranny pulled out on me :evil: and then stopped when he couldn't clear the other side of the junction :shock:
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

With the exception of the welding and ECU issues it does not really sound like a terrible lot of work, where are you located ?
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Stewart(oily) wrote:With the exception of the welding and ECU issues it does not really sound like a terrible lot of work, where are you located ?
But if you are not doing that work yourself "it does not take much time to get past the value of a Xantia"

Just look at some of the cars seen recently. With a low value 2nd hand car market effected massively by "trend", boring old TD Xantia's are proving cheep to those of us who like funny suspenders.
The ~ Cost/Condition/Retain-Time/ServiceJobCost ~ equation has changed, now it is weighted towards Scrap/Trade up
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

My HDi is on 267k with a knocking NSF (wishbone bush i think) and a big rust hole in the NSF jacking point (thanks lazy person) the sills all the way along are bubbling up and the roof has bubbles as well. She will need a timing belt doing in the near future and an engine mount as well. Oh and the wiring in the door shuts is failing.

On the 26th June she's booked in for 2 weeks at a bodyshop to have all of the body sorted. I will do all of the electrical/ mechanical stuff myself. The car will go on and on and on. For the money it will cost to replace it with another car of similar spec it will either cost not a lot (and then spend a lot fixing the problems with it) or you buy an X7 and lose money on it hand over fist.

I wouldn't suggest changing a Xantia HDi for a used car under a grand as you'll just be buying someone else's problems.

(that rattle could also be the input shaft bearing, mine has done it for the last 20k)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There's a lot of life in a Xantia if you don't let it run away everywhere at once. Their biggest shortcoming IMO was body skins not being of 18G.