ZX Volcane TD loosing boost - identify this hole?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Avi
My Cars:

ZX Volcane TD loosing boost - identify this hole?

Post by Avi »

My daily dustbin is a ZX 1.9 TD, does anyone know where i can download some workshop manual type info as i have a problem.
On the top right of the intercooler (looking from above) is a hole, with a thread (about 10mm), it was whistling from here, loosing boost. obviously there should be something there , but i have no idea what.
As a complete bodge, it has a bolt in the hole at the moment, but i can hear it loosing boost from near the turbo somewhere which i think is where the other end of whatever used to be in the intercooler should be. (if that makes any sense)
Any help appreciated,
Thanks
Andy
Avi
My Cars:

Post by Avi »

Here's some photos of the hole i have plugged to stop it whistling (with the bit of silver rod that you can see)
Anyone any idea what should go in there??
I think i can hear boost leaking from somewhere down the back of the engine.
Cheers
Andy :)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andy -
Could it simply be the turbo pressure test port for service read out ?
Obviuosly if this is allready fitted elsewhere - this screw you've found must be blocked off properly.
Have a peep on what Neil (neilsxm) mentions some 11 submissions down in this thread :
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=5183
- for a simple controlled boost increase.
Avi
My Cars:

Post by Avi »

Cheers.. maybe it is a pressure test hole, i have no idea, I've only ever had VW's and Subarus so have no experience with Citroens's at all.
I bought the car for £300, the guy said the turbo was on it's way out, as it was whistling, when i blocked the hole off, i discovered this was the whistling, but i can still hear what apppears to be a boost leak when driving from behind the passenger side of the dash.
I was thinking that the hole i blocked off might have had a pipe in it which then went to somehwere else, therefore there would be another hole. Maybe this is what i can hear?? I've not really had a look down the back of the engine, i don't even know where the turbo is to be honest [:)]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hmm, not sure what that hole is there for - I don't remember there being anything there on my BX TD which had the same arrangement of intercooler. Perhaps the intercooler or inlet manifold or engine have been swapped and do not exactly match? I think you are safe in blocking it off. The whistling noise you can still here is probably the seal between the intercooler and inlet manifold - it's a thin rubber job that easily gets blown out, leaving a gap about 1mm wide that acts as a very efficient whistle! New one is only a few quid, and half hour to fit. Note that ZX's fitted with Garrett (I think?) turbos are prone to whistling anyway - if it goes OK just turn the radio up and ignore it!!
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Hmmm....my 93 ZX TD whistles VERY loudly, I am kinda concerned I may be losing boost and performance. My ZX seems to go pretty well, but it is the only one I've driven so I do worry if I'm not getting my full 201nm/148lb ft compliment. I will take a picture of the same area on my ZX td, give us a frame of reference.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I am in the middle of removing a 1.9 TD today, dodging hail showers, I examined the manifold and there isnt a hole there on mine, I would definitely block it with something, My 1.7TD BX whistles louder when its cold and quietens down when warm,
Stewart
Avi
My Cars:

Post by Avi »

Thanks for all the advice
I had a look at a mate's 1993K zx td today, and his doesn't have the hole either!
Mine's a 1994 M , they must have changed the design. I'm going to investiaget the whistling from behind the engine later today. I'll just leave the "plug" in, and see how it goes.
It does seem to be suffering from poor fuel consumption, £10 worth of diesel gets me about 90 Miles, is this bad?, I'm used to my old Impreza when £10 got me about 45 Miles [:D]
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

My ZX doesn't have that hole either (93k td). I seem to get around 100+ miles from £10 in mine.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

i had a mondeo with a garret turbo, it used to whistle a lot but had no problems with it. silly question but are you shure it is leaking and not just the normal turbo whistle you get.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Just been out and had a look at my ZX TD. Nope no hole on mine either. The turbo dose whistle though bu mainly from cold. It seems ok when warmed up.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I had a problem with whistling on my Xantia TD and it turned out to be the (plastic?) inlet manifold gasket starting to become brittle & break up.
I replaced it with a metal gasket off an old BX TD and I've had no more odd noises from it since.
Nick
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

My ZX TD has this hole, with nothing filling it. It has a bit of oily crud in it, nothing special. I couldn't feel or see any sign of air flow whilst reving the engine. My turbo does not whistle. I have had problems with the rubber seal between the intercooler and the turbo intake at this point. It seems to swell with age so that if you remove the intercooler it buckles out of the groove in which it sits. If you don't notice this when you put the intercooler back it does not seat properly and can cause an air leak. My solution was to carefully cut it to fit the groove with a bit of instant gasket for luck......
Cheers
Duncan
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Has someone tried to fit a boost gauge in this hole? - in which case a well fitting bolt is a good a cure as any.
jeremy