1.6 hdi question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spsmith45

1.6 hdi question

Post by spsmith45 »

Hi. I'm new here, but a long time Citroën driver, now driving a DS5 1.6 hdi with ETG gearbox.

This is my issue: I have an erratic noise problem with the engine as it picks up from low revs. It makes a raspy, diesely noise and, when dropping down into, say third gear, when under load there is a tappet like noise as the engine picks up revs. The engine also seems to miss a beat or two, hesitate a little on pick-up as if it were misfiring slightly. The two issues coincide. Sometimes the problem is not there at all. My dealer in Harrogate looked into it and found nothing. I took the car out with the most experienced mechanic who said that the latest 1.6 hdi is an 8 valve engine which can sound a bit rougher than the 16 valve engines I had previously know in C4 Picasso and two C5s. Typically, when I went out with the mechanic the noise was not very audible, though there to a small extent. I was not convinced by the explanation, especially as the noise issue is erratic anyway.

The issue can occur when the engine is hot or cold. It is audible from outside the car - sounding a bit like an older fashioned diesel. I would also add that when the noise occurs it is when I am only accelerating gently (I am a light footed driver).

Has anyone come across this issue?
spsmith45

Re: 1.6 hdi question

Post by spsmith45 »

Wondering if it could be an erratic injector issue. The car is only a year old.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

We have fitted several injectors to these engines, I believe they are a little problematic .
They are very tricky to program in , and the one we did last week, took about 5 or 6 attempts . Whilst it is not correctly programmed, the engine noise is alarming at times.
A test on Diagbox should show any issue.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
littlegus63
My Cars: DS5 1.6 hdi

Post by littlegus63 »

I have a similar problem with the same model. Accelerating through the gears the engine rattles under load between 1000-2000 odd revolutions. Noise stops if foot is lifted off the accelerators, but noise is louder when going up an incline. The car seems to run well otherwise, with a very slight hesitation on pulling away.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue please?

The noise is very similar to the pinking my old petrol sierra I had in the early 90's.

Many thanks
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Could it be the EGR valve closing as it registers the demand for more power?

My 2.0 HDI, exhibits a sort of farting noise when I floor it from a steady cruise as the EGR closes.
littlegus63

Post by littlegus63 »

Thanks for your reply.

The noise seems seems to be a metallic sound which occurs under load, so pushing down harder on the accelerator and/or going up a hill makes it louder/more dominant. The sound is like a "clattering" sound but disappears after 2.5 thousand revs or if you lift off the accelerator.

Would the EGR make that kind of noise?

Many thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like it's had a new injector and it's not programmed correctly. We had a re-con one on our 16V C4 Pic, and although I programmed it, it doesn't talk to the ECU so the flow correction is wrong, so it rattles like a good un.
Richard W
littlegus63

Post by littlegus63 »

Thanks for your reply.

I'm leaning towards injectors that are either not working mechanically as they should or they have not been programmed properly.

Would it be that only a Citroen dealership could check/programme them correctly or could any garage do it with diagnostic equipment?

Anyone with any advice would be appreciated.

many thanks