Xantia HDi vibration/misfire

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davecmusic

Xantia HDi vibration/misfire

Post by davecmusic »

I have a T reg Xantia 2.0HDi. I am getting a vibration (like a wheel vibration which it isn't, had them done) above 50 mph when I back off the accelerator. It occurs worse when not under load or no "throttle", just in the point of cruising where very little is needed to keep going, like on a straight and flat road. Any ideas? The drive shafts have no play in them and the engine has loads of power. There is no smoke just this vibration as soon as you back off the power.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Xantia HDi vibration/misfire

Post by Stickyfinger »

On mine it was an intermediate drive shaft bearing, felt good but obviously it wasn't as it failed outside Skegness on a Friday afternoon :(....cannot think what was worse....yep I do.... Skegness

Not at all like a miss-fire, but vibration at 45-55mph yes......
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
davecmusic

Post by davecmusic »

Think you may be right, the engine doesn't "miss" at all when not in gear and revs fine. Under v light load that vibration is most noticeable and is driving me mad. Was it bad when it went and expensive to fix? Will probably put up with it for a while longer (car has done 147k). I had a Mondeo mk1 diesel years ago and the inner cv's went on that and caused the gear stick to vibrate side to side so was thinking not them as the Xantia isn't doing that.
davecmusic

Post by davecmusic »

Checked the bearing and seems ok. Did notice in slow traffic on the motorway it wasn't sure whether to go fast or slow and its a similar feeling at speed causing this vibration. Could it be the MAF or EGR? Acceleration is fine, foot off gas fine just when v light accelerator..... any ideas?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Early HDi Xantia's suffered from hesitation under a light throttle which could match your description, the cure is a software update on the ecu or do as I did and fit a new one.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
davecmusic

Post by davecmusic »

Will look for an update. Might unplug the get to check if that though Will that cause damage to the engine?
davecmusic

Post by davecmusic »

meant the EGR!! I have a spare MAF but not a lot of spare time. Would changing the MAF make a difference? I have noticed that the engine is kind of stuttering now on the place between power and no power on. Its happening from 1500rpm. More of a flutter at lower speeds but at 70+ it means the car is vibrating.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

We cured a similar problem on a Xantia a few years ago by replacing the driveshafts, that took some finding, we even took the diff apart, The intermediate bearing was not bad to replace but the culprit seemed to be the inner joints, though they appeared fine ?
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
davecmusic

Post by davecmusic »

Gut feeling is the inner CV,s. It also occasionally acts like I am lifting off the throttle and then applying it quickly. It did this today on a part throttle,almost surging then loosing power and surging again. Any ideas folks? To be honest I know she needs about £399-400 for an mot pass (track rod end, wishbone bushes, tyres etc) and I am thinking this may be the end. Its also got a hole on the wheel arch where the back door shuts. Not a big one but welding may be needed. Any ideas on the surging?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I know a VERY good V6 for £500 that is a BARGAIN, really do not spend £400 on a rusty Xantia mate to squeeze it thru a MoT.......NOT worth it.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
davecmusic

Post by davecmusic »

Think you may be right. Its also bubbling on both sides through the paint by the rear wheel arches and whilst its a nice drive I am thinking time may be up. If it wasn't doing this annoying vibration I would probably keep it for another year but the Mondeo MK1 diesel I had with worn inner CV's gradually got worse until it needed doing. Mind you that was 4 years old at the time! If I could cure the surging for now I would be happy though.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Sadly , mechanical alone Ok, light tin worm OK, but both on a car worth £250.....does not make any economic sense at all IMHO

This sort of thing is available for a monkey
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 1a001e835d
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider