C8 Model Differences

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FDobbs
My Cars:

C8 Model Differences

Post by FDobbs »

Hi All

This is my first post so hoping to find some expert advice!

Spurred on by our bulletproof Xsara Picasso, we thought to get something bigger and a C8 seems perfect BUT I wondered what the differences are between the two versions (Google couldn't tell me) AND I have read about leaky water pumps ruining cam belts? Is this true? Are there niggles I should be aware of?

Apologies if this is the wrong place for my question.

BW
Fred
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: C8 Model Differences

Post by vborovic »

First read (mostly technical/mechanical aspects):

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/model ... _1gen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two translations from Wiki (from slovak & italian):

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... %C3%ABn_C8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

First, may I welcome you to the FCF forum. I cannot offer any advise about the C8 (I have no experience of them), but there will be those who can. Second, if it is in the wrong place do not worry about it (I don't think it is, as your post is about a Citroen model). If it is, a moderator will move it to the correct location, and due to the atmosphere here, you won't get any grief. Feel free to ask questions (and offer advise), as that is how we all learn. My personal attitude is that there are no stupid questions, but dumb mistakes are possible.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
FDobbs
My Cars:

Post by FDobbs »

Hi Guys, thank you for the welcome and the links.

But I think what I'm after ideally is someone knowledgeable who can say 'Yes the mk2 is better because of x and y...' or 'If you buy a mk2 be careful of x'. Also, I'd like to know more about this rumour of water pumps leaking onto the cam. :)

BW
Fred
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

That's why I gave you those links, to have something to do in the meantime ... :D
FDobbs
My Cars:

Post by FDobbs »

Well there's nothing wrong with a little lunchtime reading! :D
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't know about the differences between the models (not even sure there was an official Mk2 - just a light face lift perhaps?). Not many C8s on here.... The water issue is not the water pump, it is water draining off the bonnent and into the cambelt area causing it to fail. Trouble was that the injectors need to be removed to get the head off, and many couldn't be, rendering the engine scrap. I would imagine that any left now will have had suitable mods to the bonnet to avoid this issue.
Richard W
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

Hi Fred,

Welcome to Fcf. I owned a C8 for about 18 months up until last year. I was very selective when choosing the model to avoid the much documented cam belt failure due to water dripping onto.it from the windscreen. Here's what I can remember.

Generally speaking the later the model the more they sorted the problems. Around 2005 they changed the a few interior bits and pieces. The display was more comprehensive and it and the dials turned from green to red. From 2006 the engines changed and.from what I can remember that's when there much less problems I remember reading somewhere citroen modified the drainage to prevent previous problems.

The 2.0 HDi 16v had either 120hp (usually non dpf and extremely rare) or 138 hp in tune. Avoid the 110hp 2.0 as this was different to the Xantias and C5s etc as it was 16v and had the same injector seizing issues as the early 2.2 hdi 16v which is documented on the forum as being.more troublesome. Later 2.2s had 173 hp which would have been great fun! New 2.0 engines are easy to.identify as they received 6spd gearboxes as standard over the old models 5 spd

Basically go for a late 2.0 HDi 138hp with a 6 speed box. Mine was fast, powerful and averaged around 42mpg which is respectable in something that size. It was a great bit of kit and proved generally very reliable. The only electrical gremlins I had were when the battery was on its way out. New battery and all was fine and dandy again.

Check for any knocks on test drive as bottom ball joints are prone to fail, had to.change both of mine during my ownership at 80,000 miles. Check doors and all other electrical gubbins work. Can't think of any thing else for the time being, but if you have any questions feel free to ask

Andy
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
FDobbs
My Cars:

Post by FDobbs »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Andy- that was exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for! Armed with that knowledge I now feel far more confident in what I am actually looking for!

BW
Fred