56 plate c5exclusive built-in sat nav

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: 56 plate c5exclusive built-in sat nav

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:Is the Sat Nav good enough to bother with ?, over say a new TomTom etc ?
I'd not pay a premium for Sat Nav myself Sticky. Google maps on my phone seems to get me everywhere I want to go here, Europe and so far Bogota too... pretty much free too!

I don't actually use Sat Nav that much. I don't see why I would unless I was going somewhere I didn't know. How many people actually go to unknown places that often?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

About the weather, makes sense if you're doing a 12 hour trip ... sun or rain is not a problem, but I'd rather know if there is a dry road or 10 inches of snow ahead of me (which can fall down in these parts within a few hours) ... as for unknown places, about 6-7 times a year for me ... I use viamichelin/gmap just to prepare myself ahead, but it is nice to have something to drive along, mostly for the road speed limits and one-way roads when your somewhere unfamiliar ... the built-in sat nav can hardly be compared to anything handheld (especially if we'd compare them by value), since it can't match those stand-alone devices ... but, like Rick noted, there is just something nice when everything is fluid (volume changes, auto mute of the music etc.) when you're using a built-in sat nav unit ...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:Is the Sat Nav good enough to bother with ?, over say a new TomTom etc ?
I'd not pay a premium for Sat Nav myself Sticky. Google maps on my phone seems to get me everywhere I want to go here, Europe and so far Bogota too... pretty much free too!
Untill you loose signal or do not have the ability to download via a network. you think you have a network signal in a lane in Devon ?

I don't actually use Sat Nav that much. I don't see why I would unless I was going somewhere I didn't know. How many people actually go to unknown places that often?
All the time, to see clients....try it without in the country round here...50% of roads have no name, post codes are vital or believe me you have not chance in hell of finding...Flower Cottage, the Lane, Bruton! without it.

Townist !, you will be telling me Wabitts and Foxey Loxie are cute next :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:
Untill you loose signal or do not have the ability to download via a network. you think you have a network signal in a lane in Devon ?

All the time, to see clients....try it without in the country round here...50% of roads have no name, post codes are vital or believe me you have not chance in hell of finding...Flower Cottage, the Lane, Bruton! without it.

Townist !, you will be telling me Wabitts and Foxey Loxie are cute next :)
I downloaded all the maps onto my phone so I don't need a network connection.

I did 3 years as a field service engineer in the nineties, with my trusty Berlingo van. I had an atlas and a couple of A-Zs. It was rare to go to the same place twice other than a couple of sites. Furthest South I went was Penzance, furthest North was Aberdeen. Never got lost, never had a sat nav. Did occasionally use Autoroute (remember that?) but it was ,erm, sh!te more often than not..

My missus uses the Tom-Tom all the time, I rarely, if ever bother. A quick glance at google maps will do for me, then I know where I'm going.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I find my on-board sat-nav works relatively well to get me where I'm going, but a glance at GoogleMaps beforehand to check their take on quickest route usely helps out. When I get to destination in Europe I always fall back on OSMAnd mapping on my Android. It's never more than 2 weeks out of date (if you can be bothered to update it that often) and the detail is very impressive. It's hopeless for actual routing from A to B, but to find that very obscure concrete site (the sort i'm usually after deep in the woods ! :) ), it's superb.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Really mate, unless you have a OS map, many of my clients houses/cottages are so far from any map level you have no chance without a post code or a map reference. Add to that "new" owners changing cottage names to be more chocolate box sounding crap...then even the locals have no idea...(if there is anyone about, its a barren land down there midweek).
I also do not trust the GPS receiver in my phone in those places, ? inside a C5, behind double glazed glass and a coated windscreen, often not working even on the latest SamsungS....n0 mate, not for me the phone, been let down that way.

Used to use a "Post Code Map" book in London, way better than the A-Z for general targeting and planning, A-z was for the very local area.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting